Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Classic 50

mcnach

Fantastic bass. I had two of those, only parted with them because i don't get along with 4 strings anymore. On one of them i fitted a humbucker from an american deluxe and rewired it with stacked vol/tone for each pickup, had it been a 5-stringer and it would still be with me. Lovely tone, good construction, nice feel, light and fiesta is the best colour ever.

Buy it! Buy it now! :P

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1413546748' post='2579366']
Oh and be aware, the neck is fairly massive. But brilliant.
[/quote]

It's one of the things I think I will like. I'm hoping to try this bass soon!

Ha! Baby sick colour... :lol: I like that colour a lot, with a white/mint pickguard probably. But I'm at a red period in my life, so... :P

Oh yes! :gas:

I had the exact same one - you will not be disappointed, they are absolute quality basses!

I sold mine on to get my Lakland 55-02, but I am seriously condidering getting another (in the sunburst colour though ....)

They are so light and easy to play - I hope you manage to get one soon mate - I'd best get saving then! :)

[quote name='Big Bass Man' timestamp='1413547372' post='2579381']
Oh yes! :gas:

I had the exact same one - you will not be disappointed, they are absolute quality basses!

I sold mine on to get my Lakland 55-02, but I am seriously condidering getting another (in the sunburst colour though ....)

They are so light and easy to play - I hope you manage to get one soon mate - I'd best get saving then! :)
[/quote]

Interesting, as I may be selling my Lakland 5502 if I buy this :lol:

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1413547380' post='2579382']
Hmmm. I'm just going to leave this here.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-pb-vintage-1963-4-string-bass-guitar-fiesta-red--208552"]http://www.dv247.com...sta-red--208552[/url]
[/quote]

crucially, it's got a rosewood fingerboard... I already have TWO cheap precisions with rosewood fingerboard: a Sue Ryder one with a Wizard Thumper pickup, and a Squier Mike Dirnt signature. And I enjoy them, but I want something a little better... and MAPLE. It's got to be maple... oh yes. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1413553150' post='2579474']
crucially, it's got a rosewood fingerboard... I already have TWO cheap precisions with rosewood fingerboard: a Sue Ryder one with a Wizard Thumper pickup, and a Squier Mike Dirnt signature. And I enjoy them, but I want something a little better... and MAPLE. It's got to be maple... oh yes. :)
[/quote]

Squier Matt Freeman? They're very good.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1413569710' post='2579758']
I have a lefty in two-tone burst. Nice and light, thewide neck will give your hand a good workout in an unashamed manner.
[/quote]

is it really noticeably wider than most Precisions or modern Stingrays? It seems it's about 2-3mm wider at the nut -which I consider a good thing-, and providing it's not crazy clubby, it might just be my kind of neck. I would play anything, but I tend to prefer P/Stingray to Jazz, and on 5-string basses a wide string spacing is a must for me, as long as the cross-section is not ridiculous.

I know, I know, I'll have to try it to judge, but I wonder how you'd say it compares.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1413553834' post='2579483']
Squier Matt Freeman? They're very good.
[/quote]

It was a contender!
I used to own a Squier CV60, in fiesta red, of course, that I let go in a moment of madness to acquire my G&L L2000. It was a lovely bass. The neck was probably the slimmest I ever tried on a Precision, but not in a bad way, it was really nice. If it's anything like the CV60, it would be a great bass. But I have a thing for red :lol:

I have recently bought some red shoes and a red car, and I even got a red Korg Pitchblack tuner... if I buy a Precision it's got to be red :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1413573521' post='2579830']

is it really noticeably wider than most Precisions or modern Stingrays? It seems it's about 2-3mm wider at the nut -which I consider a good thing-, and providing it's not crazy clubby, it might just be my kind of neck. I would play anything, but I tend to prefer P/Stingray to Jazz, and on 5-string basses a wide string spacing is a must for me, as long as the cross-section is not ridiculous.

I know, I know, I'll have to try it to judge, but I wonder how you'd say it compares.
[/quote]

The necks aren`t particularly deep, at least both the one I had, and Bens (Cosmo) weren`t. These are really great basses, they are probably the most aggressive sounding modern Precisions that I`ve played - they have a real snap to them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1413574592' post='2579842']

The necks aren`t particularly deep, at least both the one I had, and Bens (Cosmo) weren`t. These are really great basses, they are probably the most aggressive sounding modern Precisions that I`ve played - they have a real snap to them.
[/quote]

They are definitely large necks, but still very comfortable and not clubby. If you are fine with P bass necks normally you're unlikely to have any trouble. A thing of glory, the 50s P bass neck!

thank you all! "wide and not too deep" sounds very promising. Can't wait to try it! The first thing that made me think of this model was that when I find videos featuring a beautiful sounding Precision, it's often a Classic 50. In addition, it looks just right to me :)