Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Classic 50

mcnach

After all this positive chat about these I popped down to my local shop to have a go on one; after exclusively playing a jazz for the last 6 months it was a bit of a stretch but I really liked it! I would definitely class it as a chunky neck but its an extremely playable bass, nice tone & a decent finish (not perfect but still pretty good).

I might keep my eye open for a used one - pop a nice set of flats on & they'll be lovely.

RATS!!!!!

I went to refresh the DV247 page that I had opened for a few days, and it now displays "not available, discontinued" :o :o :o

All I could find locally was the "babysick" :lol: one, at Guitar Guitar, and I haven't even managed to go and check that one out in person as I am currently out of the country.

I checked a few other online shops, and alarmingly, a few say "not in stock, expected soon".

So, I just went and ordered one online from GAK, not only without trying the actual bass, but without trying the actual model! I have been caught before thinking about a particular item and just seeing it disappear in front of my eyes as it became "discontinued"... and I don't want to risk it this time. It's not how I wanted to buy this one, but... we'll see!!!

:rolleyes:

Well, I finally got my hands on the bass, if briefly...

First impression is just :gas:

Well, no, the first one was a bit like :blink:... The colour. Is this Fiesta Red, really? I find it a bit dark... I like it, but just not what I expected. It really does look like the picture on the very first post on this thread. Anyway, but it's fine, and... it's just awesome. It's got a little "ugly" spot on the back of the neck, the sort of thing that if I were at the sho I'd ask for another one. However, it's not a big deal and because I like it so much, I really don't want to change it now. It was nearly in tune when I took it out of the box, and the setup on this bass is very nice. Can't fault it, it seems that I'm not touching anything, leaving it as it is. Even the strings are fine, so no replacing those either yet. Oh, I did change one thing. I slightly tweaked the string spacing, making it overall a tiny bit wider than it was. But that's just my preference.

My biggest question was the neck. As I went for it ordering online rather than buying at the shop, and didn't even get to try this model anywhere, I was a bit concerned about the width of this neck.
What do I think of the neck? It's REALLY comfy! It is wide, no doubt, which I like, but the profile is shallow, not clubby at all. It's the widest neck I have, but it's very nice. Coming from a Stingray, this feels at home. It's noticeably less clubbier than my Squier CV50.
Very very nice neck.

Soundwise was great, but it was just through a small practice amp. Good punchy sound, pretty even between strings, lovely slap tone... I love those mids. I don't foress I'll want to change pickups either.

One thing I don't like: the pickguard. At first I thought it didn't look very good... but it's the touch that I hate. I need to trim my fingernails too, and when I scratch the pickguard with my nail makes my teeth feel funny. Blergh. It's going. I already have a mint-white pickguard that fits well, but it's too green :( , not very nice. I might get another one somewhere. I'd prefer a mint one, but it's so hard to get the right shade online, something that doesn't look GREEN.

Tomorrow I'm off work... can't wait! :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1414084398' post='2585695']
Well, I finally got my hands on the bass, if briefly...

First impression is just :gas:

Well, no, the first one was a bit like :blink:... The colour. Is this Fiesta Red, really? I find it a bit dark... I like it, but just not what I expected. It really does look like the picture on the very first post on this thread. Anyway, but it's fine, and... it's just awesome. It's got a little "ugly" spot on the back of the neck, the sort of thing that if I were at the sho I'd ask for another one. However, it's not a big deal and because I like it so much, I really don't want to change it now. It was nearly in tune when I took it out of the box, and the setup on this bass is very nice. Can't fault it, it seems that I'm not touching anything, leaving it as it is. Even the strings are fine, so no replacing those either yet. Oh, I did change one thing. I slightly tweaked the string spacing, making it overall a tiny bit wider than it was. But that's just my preference.

My biggest question was the neck. As I went for it ordering online rather than buying at the shop, and didn't even get to try this model anywhere, I was a bit concerned about the width of this neck.
What do I think of the neck? It's REALLY comfy! It is wide, no doubt, which I like, but the profile is shallow, not clubby at all. It's the widest neck I have, but it's very nice. Coming from a Stingray, this feels at home. It's noticeably less clubbier than my Squier CV50.
Very very nice neck.

Soundwise was great, but it was just through a small practice amp. Good punchy sound, pretty even between strings, lovely slap tone... I love those mids. I don't foress I'll want to change pickups either.

One thing I don't like: the pickguard. At first I thought it didn't look very good... but it's the touch that I hate. I need to trim my fingernails too, and when I scratch the pickguard with my nail makes my teeth feel funny. Blergh. It's going. I already have a mint-white pickguard that fits well, but it's too green :( , not very nice. I might get another one somewhere. I'd prefer a mint one, but it's so hard to get the right shade online, something that doesn't look GREEN.

Tomorrow I'm off work... can't wait! :)
[/quote]

Hurrah! I couldn't cope with that scratchplate either, a proper mint on will look fantastic!
I've got proper GAS for another one of these now, so thanks for that :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

... Bye bye Precision.

I sold it yesterday :(

I suspect it's one of those basses I'll look back in time and think "I wish I still had it"... because although I was not using it much these days, everytime I did it was "oh yes... I like it"

Hmmm.

IMG_20190803_133340232.jpg?dl=1