Why become a member? ×

ACG Krell SC E Type 5 String

eude

I know, another build diary, sorry...

As some of you may know, I've got another ACG on the go.
I've had to shift two ACGs to make this one happen, but it'll be worth it.

Specs as follows...

Krell SC E Type Bolt-on
5 strings
33" Scale
Swamp Ash Body with Flamed Maple Top
The body will be "coloured in" Black
5 piece Maple/Wenge/Purpleheart Neck
Pau Ferro Fingerboard
45mm Nut Width
18mm Spacing at the Bridge
Black Hardware throughout including Gotoh Resolite Tuners and Hipshot B Type Bridge
ACG PB pickup and RFB pickup, as close to the MM and Precision bass sweet spots as possible, adjusted for the shorter scale length and customised to fit in 40mm casings
Series/Parallel/Singlecoil switch for the RFB
ACG DFM 4K A/P Pre-amp consisting of 2 low pass filters, switchable treble boost and a passive tone with active/passive switching

I've found I've settled on 5 strings as a go to instrument these days, and I wanted a really fancy one
The idea is that this bass will hopefully cover all my favourite bass sounds, from a gnarly Musicman Stingray to a passive rootsy P Bass.
All that in a very sexy package!
I love the ACG's Krell shape, I love SC basses, but prefer the response of bolt-on instruments.

This should tick all the boxes!

Think that's about it!

This build started a while ago, so this thread should bring it all up to speed.

The Pau Ferro is third on the right.

The neck and fingerboard are on the far left.

Here's all the woody bits.

The new Krell SC E Type shape comes to life, should be the first of its kind :)

Really starting to take shape now.
You can see the revised ACG bolt-on singlecut neck joint here too.
As it happens, there's a new series of ACGs, the standard range, where they're offering singlecut bolt-ons for very nice prices :)

That's all for now! Any questions?
Eude

Why has no idea replied to this yet?!

This sounds awesome!

I've been spending a lot of my time on his website recently looking at the new 'Standard' range, nothing about them sounds standard to me :P Serious GAS right now!

I've just never played one and that's what's holding me back and also if there is a pay plan kinda thing. I guess I should ask him..

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to updates on this!! You lucky sod! :)

I am working on the not played one aspect of this. I am currently putting together a bass which will be a loner so people can try out the asymmetric neck , flat finger board and the filter preamp to see if it is for them. Not worked out how best to do this just yet.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1413791814' post='2581777']
I am working on the not played one aspect of this. I am currently putting together a bass which will be a loner so people can try out the asymmetric neck , flat finger board and the filter preamp to see if it is for them. Not worked out how best to do this just yet.
[/quote]

There are also enough of your basses about the place that you're probably never more than 50 miles from trying one if you ask ;)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1413759224' post='2581677']
Why has no idea replied to this yet?!

This sounds awesome!

I've been spending a lot of my time on his website recently looking at the new 'Standard' range, nothing about them sounds standard to me :P Serious GAS right now!

I've just never played one and that's what's holding me back and also if there is a pay plan kinda thing. I guess I should ask him..

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to updates on this!! You lucky sod! :)
[/quote]

Thanks matey, glad you like it!
I really can't wait to have the bass in my grubby little mitts :)

As far as the "Standard Range" goes, you're right! Not really Standard at all. I thought I might be GAS free for at least a little while, but the prospect of an affordable bolt-on Finn SC Classic 4 string has got me drooling on my keyboard.
I've got a 5 string fretless ACG, 6 string fretted ACG, and the 5 string fretted ACG above on the way, surely I can justify one more, a 4 string to complete the stable, right?

If you're ever in South London, you're more than welcome to come try my ACGs out.

Eude

Hi Ewan,

good to see that the GAS ailment is obviously incurable, ha ha!

This build looks awesome, I am subscribed now. I've been locked inside my new amp for a week or two, but I'll be following this build with interest now.

Hope you are well, and that we can catch up in Moffatt again.

RK

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1413791814' post='2581777']
asymmetric neck , flat finger board....
[/quote]

I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried these ( on Prime Bass/Stephen's old Zebrano ACG) - The asymmetric neck was immediately comfortable, and makes so much sense in that the further you have to reach toward the fatter strings, the less wood gets in the way, if that makes sense

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1414222008' post='2587158']
Hi Ewan,

good to see that the GAS ailment is obviously incurable, ha ha!

This build looks awesome, I am subscribed now. I've been locked inside my new amp for a week or two, but I'll be following this build with interest now.

Hope you are well, and that we can catch up in Moffatt again.

RK
[/quote]

Hey mate,
good to hear from you.
Yup, the GAS never really ever goes away.
Glad you approve of the build, I thought you might :)

I saw your amp thread, I see it was worth the wait.

I'll hopefully make the next Moffat Bash, fingers crossed. I'll definitely be at the London Bass Guitar Show next year if you're going to make an appearance?

Eude

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414222564' post='2587161']
I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried these ( on Prime Bass/Stephen's old Zebrano ACG) - The asymmetric neck was immediately comfortable, and makes so much sense in that the further you have to reach toward the fatter strings, the less wood gets in the way, if that makes sense
[/quote]

Its definitely the way forward B)

Eude

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1414315181' post='2588033']
Yes, definitely going to the London show. Earplugs at the ready!

RK
[/quote]

Excellent, I'll be there all weekend.
I'll make sure I bring the new bass along too :)

Eude

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1417621652' post='2622348']
Can we get some sound samples please? :)
[/quote]

"Patience Danielsan, Focus Power".
But yeah, I'll try and get something done soon, still at work with the bass sat beside me in its lovely Fusion F1 bag/case. Its killing me not being able to just play it!

Eude

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417623209' post='2622375']
That looks fantastic... suitably different as well...

Does this have the fancy pick ups and filer EQ?
[/quote]

Wish I could've gone Uber, but sadly out of my price range, [i]for now[/i]...
This has a PB split coil in the neck position and an RFB MM style pickup with coil switching in the "Sweet Spot".
The preamp is the new DFM one, but without the high mid/treble filter module, this one instead has two mid filters stacks, one per pickup and a passive tone with various switching options:
low mid boost, treble boost, active/passive and series/parallel/singlecoil for the RFB pickup.
Should keep me busy...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1417623537' post='2622382']
The preamp is the new DFM one, but without the high mid/treble filter module, this one instead has two mid filters stacks, one per pickup and a passive tone with various switching options:
low mid boost, treble boost, active/passive and series/parallel/singlecoil for the RFB pickup.
Should keep me busy...

Eude
[/quote]

wow that sounds pretty comprehensive... would be cool to hear some samples when you get round to it :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417625586' post='2622410']
wow that sounds pretty comprehensive... would be cool to hear some samples when you get round to it :)
[/quote]

Will try my best mate, might take a week or so, watch this space!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1417625812' post='2622416']
I absolutely love that....it has changed my perception about what I actually like in an ACG bass.
[/quote]

It is quite different from the norm, quite aggressive looking, but it sits beautifully on the lap too, incredibly versatile instrument.

Eude