Why become a member? ×

Modding my Squier

Oopsdabassist

Nothing actually decided yet, but after seeing TimAl's old threads sticking comics on old basses, I'm tempted to let him have a go at my Squier P pro. One of his scratchplates should finish it off nicely and I already have a couple of ideas for this using his nifty website.

[url="http://www.originalscratchplates.com/"]http://www.originalscratchplates.com/[/url]

I really fancy a steampunk theme, and have spent the last couple of days trying to find a decent steampunk graphic novel that has plenty of good pics showing machinery and architecture etc. If anyone has anything we could use, or can point me in a better direction than I'm aiming at the moment I'd appreciate it as I'm not having a lot of luck!

I'm also toying with the idea of getting a new P profile neck, preferably Rosewood, as the reason I don't play this thing now is because the neck is a bit like a banana!

Many thanks for looking and any input much appreciated

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1413567402' post='2579729']
Nothing actually decided yet, but after seeing TimAl's old threads sticking comics on old basses, I'm tempted to let him have a go at my Squier P pro. One of his scratchplates should finish it off nicely and I already have a couple of ideas for this using his nifty website.

[url="http://www.originalscratchplates.com/"]http://www.originalscratchplates.com/[/url]

I really fancy a steampunk theme, and have spent the last couple of days trying to find a decent steampunk graphic novel that has plenty of good pics showing machinery and architecture etc. If anyone has anything we could use, or can point me in a better direction than I'm aiming at the moment I'd appreciate it as I'm not having a lot of luck!

I'm also toying with the idea of getting a new P profile neck, preferably Rosewood, as the reason I don't play this thing now is because the neck is a bit like a banana!

Many thanks for looking and any input much appreciated
[/quote]

Cool Idea! One quick note: If the current neck is "a bit like a banana!" try loosening the strings and tightening the truss rod...

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1413656951' post='2580667']
Yup doing that, a little at a time, and then waiting a day for it to settle.

No one got any ideas for sourcing comics then?
[/quote]

Not really a comic guy - BTW you can probably give it quite a crank without breaking it. If you're doing more than a half turn at a time - I'd slacken off the strings. I've tweaked a bass about 6 times in the one day - some squeaking / creaking as I tuned up (once with old strings, a couple of times with new as I intonated them) - when a bass is badly maladjusted it needs a firm hand.

Get the neck as close to straight without string tension - then get it that straight again with tension. That's how I do it anyhow. IME you can adjust it gradually and it can still shift slightly a few hours after you adjust it - I'd get it close to ideal and then wait - as opposed to waiting in between each tweak - were it my bass.

Best of luck with it anyhow.

That's mighty kind of you Oops - thanks very much.

I use eBay for my Batman comics - haven't had a problem buying as there's many outlets out there. A general search for 'Steampunk' in the Books, Comics & Magazines section gives over 1500 options - including calendars & tarot cards!

FWIW I've found that comics (printed on newsprint) lose their colour definition when finished - they look rustic & relic'd - whereas annuals (printed on gloss art paper) keep their colour perfectly - I'm sure either would work for Steampunk.

Cheers
Tim

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1413804652' post='2582032']
The only mods I have done to my 2 Squiers (bar strings) are purely cosmetic because they are actually just really nice basses as they are.
[/quote]
Agreed. Although I did fit an SPB-2 to the 4-string.