Why become a member? ×

The "Right" bass. How long will it last?

itsmedunc

I've been hunting down the 'right' basses for a years now but it seems the hunt is over...

I'm sort of involved in two projects which I need different basses for. One is - a bunch of old mates hammering out Clash songs. I hunted for the 'right' P bass for years and eventually realised my JV is the 'one' and I cant fault it. I was using it as a back up bass! It truly is a magnificent instrument. That replaced my 79.
I got a really nice Squier tele bass delivered off here today and that is more than adequate for a backup. So, that has replaced the JV. All problems solved.

The other project is an originals band that I need at least 22 frets for. This project has gone on since 1987! We hardly ever play but I suppose its grown on me that much that I still keep on going back to it every couple of years! I suppose its part of me now.
Anyway, after years of chopping and changing, I recently managed to get hold of a Westone Thunder 3 again (I had originally used one with them but stupidly sold it). So, first bass is now well and truly sorted and I also have an Aria SB-1200 as a backup (which is probably a bit ott to be honest).

I'm more than happy with them but the question still looms - How long will it last...? I cant help but think I'm fooling myself... :unsure:

Edited by itsmedunc

There is no "right" bass that will last you forever unless you have a fairly limited musical outlook.

The "right" bass for me 35 years ago when I first started play bass is not the same as the "right" bass for me in the 90s or the one I used 5 years ago, or the one I'll be playing tonight. I'm pretty certain that in another 5 years I'll have yet another "right" bass.

Stop worrying.

Edited by BigRedX

I play all sorts of styles from Reggae to country, rock to pop and I could play all of those songs on the Peavey Foundation I bought new in 1993, having a B string is probably the only thing I would really miss if I went back. I've seen everything from folk music to two handed tapping and crazy skills and chops on a Stingray so I can't see me outgrowing them, I might add a five string super Jazz to the collection at some point though :D

Yeah,IMO there's no "right bass". I gig with several different basses and they are all fun to play and I hope to have them for a long time.

Now there are things, like the right technique, skills, ability (chops) and dexterity that I'm continually trying to get right.

I know some of you have had success with off brand and less expensive basses, That has not been the case for me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413577478' post='2579881']
Which the fs section is always full of! :D
[/quote]

:D :) :rolleyes: :unsure: :(

I just chuckled at someones dream. :o

In any case, Those customs are often sold due to change in circumstances - musical & financial being the most common shared reason.

I know I'll want custom basses at some point - but for now I'm happy with off the shelf.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413584634' post='2579999']
Yeah,IMO there's no "right bass". I gig with several different basses and they are all fun to play and I hope to have them for a long time.

Now there are things, like the right technique, skills, ability (chops) and dexterity that I'm continually trying to get right.

I know some of you have had success with off brand and less expensive basses, That has not been the case for me.

Blue
[/quote]
now I have gas for an ASAT :)

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1413659022' post='2580698']
It's a gorgeous blueburst . . . and the subtly tinted maple fretboard. :gas:
[/quote]

Are you talking about my Blue Burst ASAT? Interesting.

I have just started gigging with it again. I used it last night and it was fun to play especially with the active pre-amp on. I purchased it used a few years ago for $500.00 mint condition with hard shell case.

I think the G&L used is one of the best values out there, Nice thin neck and yeah, now that you mention it, the tinted fretboard is cool.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413661339' post='2580738']
Are you talking about my Blue Burst ASAT? Interesting , I have just started gigging with it again. I used it last night and it was fun to play especially with the active pre-amp on. I purchased it used a few years ago for $500.00 mint condition

Blue
[/quote]

are you sure you need that gold top? :ph34r: :P