Why become a member? ×

The "Right" bass. How long will it last?

itsmedunc

It's about having the right tool for the job. If you play one style/ genre of music then that narrows things down, but if you have a couple of different projects on the go, well one size doesn't always got all......

My most trusted go to is my f jazz.

Edited by Wonky2

I play in a couple of bands and find that there isn't a right one. The nearest is my Ibanez SR3005E, which is an awesome beast and what I currently use live. It sounds great and handles brilliantly. I also like my other basses though. I think you need three at least :)

Maybe if I was into fiddling with controls I may find some sort of complicated wonder bass but I'm not so its not likely

I'm never happy with my basses well for a couple of months maybe then it wears off , and I crave for something new ,I'm yet to find one I'll keep for ever as one never gives me everything I need sound wise ,then again I'd never spend more than about £500 note on one ,I'd.be to scared to take out of the house ,a few months ago I used my mates American jazz at gig ,but it stressed me out case it got robbed or damaged I couldn't settle till I got it back in the case ,but I do worry about daft things .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413568969' post='2579749']
There is no "right" bass that will last you forever unless you have a fairly limited musical outlook.[/quote]

That's a bit unfair on those players who buy an instrument and just play the same one throughout their career...which to be fair won't really apply to anyone on Basschat! :P

Before I had the Internet I managed to play rock, punk, indie, soul, mod and country on the same bass. Obviously not at the same time.

Making music aside, I think playing different instruments is, for me, one of the really interesting and rewarding tangential aspects of bass. I am endlessly curious about different makes/models - how do they feel, how do they sound, are they comfortable etc. I have some basses that I favour over others but most of the ones I have kept have something appealing about them which makes it difficult to move them on. :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1413661850' post='2580748']
are you sure you need that gold top? :ph34r: :P
[/quote]

You know, it's interesting that you mention my Gibson Gold Top Bass. I purchased it mainly to ad a cool look , to enhance my stage presence. I plan on bringing it out and start doing a few gigs with it. I love the way the humbuckers hit my pedals.

Do I need it? No. Do I want to keep it, Yes! :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413878084' post='2582929']

Me too. Don't even know why - that's GAS for you, though - its irrational.
[/quote]

I sold mine to buy my current bass and every so often I'll go to a Gig where a Warwick is being used and I'll want one back again. the thumb 5's in the FS section haven't been helping the GAS!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413568969' post='2579749']
There is no "right" bass that will last you forever unless you have a fairly limited musical outlook.

The "right" bass for me 35 years ago when I first started play bass is not the same as the "right" bass for me in the 90s or the one I used 5 years ago, or the one I'll be playing tonight. I'm pretty certain that in another 5 years I'll have yet another "right" bass.

Stop worrying.
[/quote]
Do not agree with that at all. I have a few basses but my main one is a humble Yamaha BBN5. Had it 17yrs. I've used it for rock, pop, funk, professional musical theatre tours. I always get complimented on it's tone. I do not have a limited musical outlook. Granted I have to use fretless for some things and I making a bass but I'll never desert it.