Why become a member? ×

The opening note is not the key of the song....

stingrayPete1977

Yep, very annoying.

Although I remember the days on busking gigs when bandleaders just gave fingers for keys.
One finger up for 'G', three fingers up for 'A', two fingers down for 'Bb'...etc...
I still come across it on occasional Jazz gigs with older gentlemen.
After the final tune you just hope that you don't get 'two fingers up' aimed in your direction... :D

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1413583731' post='2579987']
Yep, Dancing in the moonlight springs to mind :lol:
[/quote]

So true.[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4] That's the one and like suggested in another reply, I did actually start to play it in the key our guitarist insisted it was in just to make the point. :lol:[/size]

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1413614575' post='2580098']
Yep, I understand this. What I don't understand is when 'proper' musos tell me that the key of Ab is different to G#.
[/quote]
It's so much easier to write in the key of Ab than G#. Seriously. Ab has 4 flats, G# has everything sharp (Inclding a B#, E# and
an F double#).

Back to the original point, the current annoying one is being told to play Get Lucky in B!!! Wrong on a couple of levels.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1413625617' post='2580237']

And even then, they might have meant C minor. :P :D
[/quote]
[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1413629704' post='2580284']
No, you'd be told if it's in the minor. Major is assumed.
[/quote]
That's my take on it bassace although I guess it can't hurt to be specific either.

I am no theory expert but even I was able to spot a song recently , where it said it was in the key of F when it was clearly in C . Also I think its easier to just say a song is in C Than Am surely the major key is the main building block then you can take it in whatever direction you want using the appropriate degree of the scale, although I guess it is easier and quicker to somtimes say Minor, dorian or lydian. I still have to refer to circle of fifths or a chart to sometimes find what key a song is in if its other than C LOL