Why become a member? ×

The opening note is not the key of the song....

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1413614575' post='2580098']
Yep, I understand this. What I don't understand is when 'proper' musos tell me that the key of Ab is different to G#.
[/quote]
There is no key of G# (although there is a key of G#m). I'm sure that's cleared up the confusion!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1413635054' post='2580369']

There is no key of G# (although there is a key of G#m). I'm sure that's cleared up the confusion!
[/quote]

Not strictly true. It's very rare, but the key of G# does exist. The key signature is written as 6 sharps and a double
sharp on F.
Like I say, it's very rare to see it (I've never had a chart written that way) but examples do exist.

The amount of times I got chord charts with the singer/guitarist saying "This one's in C", only to look at it & see that was the first chord. I was tempted many times to play in C, if only for the singer to find that the F makes their D a D minor. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413743053' post='2581475']
The amount of times I got chord charts with the singer/guitarist saying "This one's in C", only to look at it & see that was the first chord. I was tempted many times to play in C, if only for the singer to find that the F makes their D a D minor. :)
[/quote]

Doing that though would make you the dick, not the singer/guitarist. As others have said, not all musicians have a grasp of (even basic) theory, it doent make them bad people (or bad musicians). If I'm ever in that situation i always take 'key' as being short hand for the first chord. I know its not right, and I know quite often its not theorically correct, but I just get on with having a bit of fun playing tunes in front of folk without going all muso on them.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1414000763' post='2584732']
Doing that though would make you the dick, not the singer/guitarist. As others have said, not all musicians have a grasp of (even basic) theory, it doent make them bad people (or bad musicians). If I'm ever in that situation i always take 'key' as being short hand for the first chord. I know its not right, and I know quite often its not theorically correct, but I just get on with having a bit of fun playing tunes in front of folk without going all muso on them.
[/quote]Respect!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414001058' post='2584740']
I have no issue with people not knowing what they are doing as long as they are honest, "erm I'm not sure, I play C minor to start" would be fine, saying it is in C if you dont know what it means or the difference between maj or minor isnt helping anyone.
[/quote]

This would be where I'd be coming from.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1414000763' post='2584732']
[/quote]
I agree 100%.
When someone says "We're playing xxxxx, it starts with a C", then that's perfectly acceptable. You know what the first chord is & can work out the scale from it.
When they say "We're playing xxxxx, it's in the key of C" and didn't hand me a chart to show the chords, then it could easily go a bit awry. It never did though, as usually after the first few notes it was clearly not in C.

Where I said I've considered it, I never have & wouldn't in front of an audience.

I went to see a band a few years ago, bassist was a member here, he and the guitarist had fallen out with the guitarist/singer who was very talented but more of a learn it and repeat it player, every now and again they would give each other the wink and shift maj to min or the reverse. The guy just looked lost and sounded terrible as the others ploughed on in key together, cruel but brilliant, the audience didn't notice what was going on and I had even more fun in the second half after I pointed out in the interval that I knew what the game was and I 'conducted' a few semi tone shifts to them both :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414006029' post='2584831']
I went to see a band a few years ago, bassist was a member here, he and the guitarist had fallen out with the guitarist/singer who was very talented but more of a learn it and repeat it player, every now and again they would give each other the wink and shift maj to min or the reverse. The guy just looked lost and sounded terrible as the others ploughed on in key together, cruel but brilliant, the audience didn't notice what was going on and I had even more fun in the second half after I pointed out in the interval that I knew what the game was and I 'conducted' a few semi tone shifts to them both :D
[/quote]

What a downright horrid and vindictive thing to do.

You're a bully.

Edited by ahpook