Why become a member? ×

Bike Trailers.

chaypup

For gigs in town I've been taking my gear in using a bike trailer. I manage to fit my RS210, amp head, bass and box of bits in it. When it rains I cover it all in a fluorescent poncho with reflective strips. It takes me only marginally more time to get to the gig and at some venues I can just unhitch the trailer and take it straight onto the stage!

Anyone else used one before? I'll take a pic next time I use it.

It's about carting my bass gear around so I thought generally, it was ok to discuss it here :)
It was this Foxhunter trailer - the largest I could find that was foldable.
It's surprisingly easy to cycle with it loaded and not much wider that riding the bike with it so you don't have to worry too much about giving extra space to things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-New-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Luggage-Cargo-Trailer-Carrier-Foldable-Black-/121280152438?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1c3cdc4376

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1413717797' post='2581096']...and don't go nuts down the hills.
[/quote]

... but I think that was the point. Fully laden, on a descent, the trailer is liable to want to go faster than you; you'd [i]have [/i]to go nuts to avoid being overtaken..! I've a very long anecdote on the subject of over-loading a (car...) trailer, and so experience of the experience. Not nice..? Not a huge problem of the load is reasonable and the (downward...) hills not too long or steep, but needs knowing about, I'd say.
In general, my eco aspect says 'Bravo..!' An excellent initiative in these days of high cost and pollution. Weather protection and ease of theft would be my priority issues; constant supervision would, I assume, be the order of the day. Distance, too. Depending on the strength of leg-power, this would be limited to local gigs. Still, I could quite see this as an option for far more than simply musical equipment transport. I, for one, would like to see how this develops, if you would..? B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413725342' post='2581222']
My nearest gig/town from home other than the village pub is 7 miles away up a winding hilly lane, so as Duncan would say "amm ooot" :)
[/quote]

I live fairly near the city centre, so it's busy, but there are lots of cycle lanes and it's 2 miles max to any of the venues I use the trailer for. Any further, or having to go on a main road, and I wouldn't use it I don't think.

Please tell us more of your experiences. Is the model you have robust? They aren't that expensive compared to what bicycles cost, and have a similar amount of hardware, almost. I wondered how long they are likely to last.

I'd also like to see the photos of it loaded up. I've been seriously considering a trailer for some time.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1413797501' post='2581889']

I live fairly near the city centre, so it's busy, but there are lots of cycle lanes and it's 2 miles max to any of the venues I use the trailer for. Any further, or having to go on a main road, and I wouldn't use it I don't think.
[/quote]
I should also add that I'm a lazy fat bastard :lol: