Why become a member? ×

Robert Cray..

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1413651845' post='2580600']
Have a lot of this guys music, but this is a real standout record for me.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLTuEZRFNg[/media]
[/quote]

The Robert Cray Band are a great live band for their music content and tasteful playing, saw them recently at Guildford, terrific.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1413659975' post='2580712']
Seen him twice. First at the Hammersmith Odeon back in 1990 or 91 - its was a long time ago.... He was superb, a great gig cos Mr Cray was the warm up for BB King.
[/quote]

He was also playing with Clapton in those days at his annual Royal Albert Hall concerts, along with Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Johnny Johnson (of Chuck Berry piano fame) among others. Wonderful concerts!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1413651845' post='2580600']
Have a lot of this guys music, but this is a real standout record for me.[/quote]

How about this version @9.40?
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IVbJa6LiwI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4IVbJa6LiwI[/url]
Then go back to the start of it and put your life on hold for an hour and a half of "Yeah baby!"

I've seen RC quite a few times, mostly in the early days, and the best (IMO) was the original line up. Richard Cousins, what a player.

I saw those guys a lot. I've played many of his numbers and we opened with Phone Booth for longer than I care to remember.

I last saw him at Shepherds Bush a couple of years ago, and was very disappointed. He played efficiently, did 60mins to the second, no chat, hardly acknowledged the audience and no encore. He just looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Saw him at Hammersmith too with Richard Cousins playing a Danelectro Longhorn if I remember correctly. My overriding feeling though was that it was identical to the studio albums and I might as well have just listened to them. Very proficient but also very sterile.

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1413656955' post='2580668']

The Robert Cray Band are a great live band for their music content and tasteful playing, saw them recently at Guildford, terrific.
[/quote]

Was that at Glive , so wanted to be at that ?

Yep, used to play Strong Persuader album to death when it first came out. Saw him live at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival earlier this year. Thoroughly decent live and I really enjoyed it. Couple of dyed in the wool jazzers who were with me were less than impressed tho as Jazz it certainly is not!!!!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1413658036' post='2580681']
And of course he was the bass player in Otis Day and the Knights in National Lampoons Animal House.
[/quote]

I did not know this :o

Great film and a while since I've watched it. Must dust off the VHS at the weekend.

I first Bob at the Reading Hexagon in 1987! He's still sounding good 30+ years later. There's a great album called Showdown with Robert Cray, Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland - it's on spotify at http://open.spotify.com/album/1JpYINQFmNwF09qnvdKUFe

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1413961901' post='2583984']
Great film and a while since I've watched it. Must dust off the VHS at the weekend.
[/quote]

One of my favourite films - when I saw it again recently after many years, I realised how much of the dialog has sunk into my common lexicon. (ditto Tom Hanks' 'Bachelor Party')

Katy: I think l'm in love with a retard
Boon: is he bigger than me?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1413972969' post='2584160']
One of my favourite films - when I saw it again recently after many years, I realised how much of the dialog has sunk into my common lexicon. (ditto Tom Hanks' 'Bachelor Party')

Katy: I think l'm in love with a retard
Boon: is he bigger than me?
[/quote]

My favourite, and one much abused where I was working at the time was Niedermier to Flounder: "A pledge pin...on your uniform. Drop and give me 20". Or something like that.