Why become a member? ×

I'm Buying! Brilliant new design of Bass/Guitar Stand - And they support music charities

xilddx

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1413806238' post='2582056']
I get that, that's why there's a range of designs available... regarding the tripod comments above:

the BND design is essentially a tripod, isn't it? The bottom part is bendable, and the back is round to prove one point of contact... or it could be made to be that way, couldn't it? At least that's the way I say it, although looking at some pictures, they do look like the bottom part is all flat on the floor. However, being bendable, I would add a bend to it.
As for the back leg fitting between amps... My Hercules one can't be used that way. The leg will fit but the bass is tilted back, so the neck would hit the amp... the stand has to be moved forward so that the neck clears the wall/amps etc...
Clearly your stand is not like mine, I guess yours holds the bass more vertically.

I think the BND would be an improvement over my tiny Hercules, and I like that. But I understand it's not the answer for every situation.

Actually, I keep thinking we should get a multi stand so that we can all leave our instruments (need at least 4)... the trouble is when we have small stages, it's easier to distribute guitars around than having one place for all... and being an 8-piece, nearly every stage is a small stage ;)
[/quote]

At 2.22 the narration states that has "4 points of contact" and video clearly shows these. I guess you could bend the base to make it effectively three but there's no getting around the fact that it needs the whole area of the base free, whereas a tripod stand is much more flexible in where it will fit.

The Hercules stands I use are the one that hold the bass from the neck/headstock join and it's possible to get the back leg and the upright part into a small gap between two amps so effectively only the instrument stand in front. I also have one of the small Hercules stands and I would never use it for anything other than displaying a guitar in the safety of my home. I wouldn't ever consider putting bass on it or using it at a gig, it's simply not stable enough.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413811181' post='2582142']
The Hercules stands I use are the one that hold the bass from the neck/headstock join and it's possible to get the back leg and the upright part into a small gap between two amps so effectively only the instrument stand in front.
[/quote]

I have one of these too and it's the best I've had. Neatly sidesteps the problem of offset bodies and side-mounted jack sockets, too. It's fairly heavy and doesn't fold down small so isn't particularly portable - but I've come to accept that the laws of physics are immutable. If you want a stable stand it won't fit in your pocket.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413811409' post='2582151']
I have one of these too and it's the best I've had. Neatly sidesteps the problem of offset bodies and side-mounted jack sockets, too. It's fairly heavy and doesn't fold down small so isn't particularly portable - but I've come to accept that the laws of physics are immutable. If you want a stable stand it won't fit in your pocket.
[/quote]

Since we use 4 of these stands where ever possible and carry two microphone stands for Mr Venom and his Theremin, I'm looking at getting a suitable bag/case to put them all in.

Firstly, Its a great idea that will suit a lot of the market. Ticks a lot of boxes for most people.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413739543' post='2581417']
Some good ideas and some bits they clearly haven't considered at all.
[/quote]

I'm inclined to disagree here, they have clearly tried to cater for the majority. To modify the design for the more asymmetric body shapes would have altered it too much. I don't think its a lack of R&D, quite the opposite.

If you are 6 feet 4 with a 28 inch waist you are going to struggle to walk into a high street shop and buy trousers. (Yes Red, I know you dont buy your clothes off the highstreet :) )

Edited by stingraybassman

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1413812128' post='2582166']I'm inclined to disagree here, they have clearly tried to cater for the majority. To modify the design for the more asymmetric body shapes would have altered it too much. I don't think its a lack of R&D, quite the opposite.
[/quote]

Until I see that it will hold a J-Style bass stably and securely, I'll stand by my original statement. I would have thought that they were common enough to have been considered part of the majority.

The world has quite a lot of students with acoustic or classical guitars. Many travel with only a soft case, on buses etc. There are many, too, at home wishing to have a simple stand. Not [i]everyone [/i]has a need to stock several J-basses on a crowded stage, out of the way of a bun-fight. Some do, of course, and other types and brands of stand are available. This new entrant is an extra choice; no preceding choices have been taken away. It may not suit all (we use, for instance, two guitar racks on stage; we make room for them...), but some, maybe many, will find it to be ideal for them. What's wrong with that..? Why is it necessary to pick holes all the time..? Whatever happened to 'live and let live'..? Maybe it's me, being too sensitive. Probably. :([size=4] [/size]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413800995' post='2581952']
Actually a well-designed tripod is more stable, once you introduce a 4th point of contact all of them have to level in order for the stand not to wobble.
[/quote]

Well yes, a three point contact will not wobble, but for the same radius will push over more easily than a 4 point contact, if you try try to pushing towards two legs rather than one. Similarly 5 is much than 4, which is why almost all "rolly" chairs have 5 legs these days. Obviously with a bass on a stand the centre of gravity is more predictable, so a tripod should be fine, but four points would still be better.