Why become a member? ×

I'm Buying! Brilliant new design of Bass/Guitar Stand - And they support music charities

xilddx

Project cancelled by the creator on July 7... but all is not lost, apparently.

[url="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bnd/bnd-one-the-worlds-most-portable-guitar-stand/posts/903388"]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bnd/bnd-one-the-worlds-most-portable-guitar-stand/posts/903388[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1413661243' post='2580737']
nice idea, wonder if its made of nitro-friendly plastic/foam (as most stands, bar Hercules, react with nitro finishes)?
[/quote]I thought nice one..I'll check out hecules cos I've nearly finished a bass in nitro!. Went on Thomann, every hercules stand said not recommended for nitro finishes! ha ha

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1413733839' post='2581333']
I thought nice one..I'll check out hecules cos I've nearly finished a bass in nitro!. Went on Thomann, every hercules stand said not recommended for nitro finishes! ha ha
[/quote]

I tried the Hercules at a Bass Bash. I was not keen. I thought they were bulky, and not easy to assemble.

Some good ideas and some bits they clearly haven't considered at all. I notice in the video there are no guitars with even a vaguely off-set shape on those stands, also I think the footprint is too big. Tripod stands like the Hercules can be fit fitted into all sorts of tricky places whereas these require a lot more room. More R&D required I think.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1413733839' post='2581333']
I thought nice one..I'll check out hecules cos I've nearly finished a bass in nitro!. Went on Thomann, every hercules stand said not recommended for nitro finishes! ha ha
[/quote]
See here. They specifically state at Hercules that their foam does not interfere with nitrocellulose. Thomann either has it wrong or is covering itself http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1413737742' post='2581393']
If you can't find one, I have and can recommend one of these:

[url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402BB.html"]http://www.herculess...rs/GS402BB.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, yeah I tried one, bulky and no good for a Jazz I'm afraid.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413739543' post='2581417']
Some good ideas and some bits they clearly haven't considered at all. I notice in the video [b]there are no guitars with even a vaguely off-set shape on those stands,[/b] also I think the footprint is too big. Tripod stands like the Hercules can be fit fitted into all sorts of tricky places whereas these require a lot more room. More R&D required I think.
[/quote]

Err ... :blink: :unsure: :(

I've been at the crack pipe again :blush:

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1413737742' post='2581393']
If you can't find one, I have and can recommend one of these:
[url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402BB.html"]http://www.herculess...rs/GS402BB.html[/url]
[/quote]

I had one of those for a while, and the stability is excellent, as is the portability and ease of use... but in the end I moved it on because the angle at which you are obliged to have your bass is too flat, i.e. not upright enough. Which is a shame. :)

Some good ideas and some bits they clearly haven't considered at all. I notice in the video there are no guitars with even a vaguely off-set shape on those stands, also I think the footprint is too big. Tripod stands like the Hercules can be fit fitted into all sorts of tricky places whereas these require a lot more room. More R&D required I think.
[/quote]
Cut them some slack though, they were clear about their objectives.

[/quote]

I think the footprint looks good: more stable!
I only have my bass on a stand when I am not playing it, so I don't see space as a problem. I like the idea a lot.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413743669' post='2581489']
I had one of those for a while, and the stability is excellent, as is the portability and ease of use... but in the end I moved it on because the angle at which you are obliged to have your bass is too flat, i.e. not upright enough. Which is a shame. :)
[/quote]

That's right. It's the stand I use at the moment, but the angle at which the bass is held means you have to watch out you leave enough room behind it. I think the BND one might actually require less space when you consider that.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1413800267' post='2581932']
I think the footprint looks good: more stable!
I only have my bass on a stand when I am not playing it, so I don't see space as a problem. I like the idea a lot.
[/quote]

Actually a well-designed tripod is more stable, once you introduce a 4th point of contact all of them have to level in order for the stand not to wobble. Also with a tripod design the back leg can be tucked into a space between two amps getting majority of the stand and the instrument it is holding safely out of the way.

TBH I am looking at it from my own personal needs where stands are used to hold spare guitars basses at gigs and need to be placed somewhere out of the "performance" area, but still close enough so a replacement instrument can be got at easily and quickly. The less room a stand takes up the more options you have for its placement. Plus nearly all my instruments are too asymmetrical in body shape for this stand to support them securely.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1413741402' post='2581446']
See here. They specifically state at Hercules that their foam does not interfere with nitrocellulose. Thomann either has it wrong or is covering itself [url="http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html"]http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html[/url]
[/quote]nice one

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413800995' post='2581952']
Actually a well-designed tripod is more stable, once you introduce a 4th point of contact all of them have to level in order for the stand not to wobble. Also with a tripod design the back leg can be tucked into a space between two amps getting majority of the stand and the instrument it is holding safely out of the way.

TBH I am looking at it from my own personal needs where stands are used to hold spare guitars basses at gigs and need to be placed somewhere out of the "performance" area, but still close enough so a replacement instrument can be got at easily and quickly. The less room a stand takes up the more options you have for its placement. Plus nearly all my instruments are too asymmetrical in body shape for this stand to support them securely.
[/quote]

I get that, that's why there's a range of designs available... regarding the tripod comments above:

the BND design is essentially a tripod, isn't it? The bottom part is bendable, and the back is round to prove one point of contact... or it could be made to be that way, couldn't it? At least that's the way I say it, although looking at some pictures, they do look like the bottom part is all flat on the floor. However, being bendable, I would add a bend to it.
As for the back leg fitting between amps... My Hercules one can't be used that way. The leg will fit but the bass is tilted back, so the neck would hit the amp... the stand has to be moved forward so that the neck clears the wall/amps etc...
Clearly your stand is not like mine, I guess yours holds the bass more vertically.

I think the BND would be an improvement over my tiny Hercules, and I like that. But I understand it's not the answer for every situation.

Actually, I keep thinking we should get a multi stand so that we can all leave our instruments (need at least 4)... the trouble is when we have small stages, it's easier to distribute guitars around than having one place for all... and being an 8-piece, nearly every stage is a small stage ;)