Why become a member? ×

COG Knightfall?

topheteatwo

I've heard amazing things about it, like really really amazing things.

So I'm thinking of ditching the Rat King for a softer(ish) sound.

I'm wondering if the Knightfall can achieve the same bite and snarl as the Rat? Obviously a different sound but I still want that same harshness, just a little different!

Can it be my sole dirt pedal?

I have a Rat & a Knightfall 66, very different pedals!!

I've used both in the same band situation, and whilst the 66 sits a bit nicer in the mix for that band, the Rat really is snarl city and you gotta love it for that :)

Both together would be pretty sweet though!

Si

As said by Si, they are different tones. Whether the Knightfall has "bite" and "snarl" all comes down to your individual definition of those words.
I would say that the Knightfall is a very, very fine dirt pedal with a good range of gain/dirt to be had at different settings.
The bass shift toggle is useful to give it a different feel. Full frequency gives it slightly more of an Ampeg vibe, softer and fuzzier. Taking the dirt away from those low frequencies tightens things up, makes them more "harsh" and "modern" if you will.
I find the Knightfall responds very much like a tube amp in that that you can clean it up by cutting mids from your bass and, conversely, dirty it up by boosting mids from your bass (if you have that facility !).
To find out if it's for you, there's no other other way but trying one.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1413815059' post='2582217']
Being stuck in NI is pretty bad for trying interesting pedals, nothing's here.

I think I might just pull the trigger on a single Knightfall instead of the 2
[/quote]

Buy Sheps knight fall and save some scrilla

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1413817480' post='2582262']
I'd say go for the Knightfall 66. You'll get a lot more pedal for your money.
[/quote]

The Knightfall's definitely more in the OCD ball-park than the Rat. I find it's a warmer, less aggressive sound overall, but you definitely still get the bite and cut if you boost the 66s treble control a wee bit...

Defo get the 66, mainly so you get the two channels and diode selection, and make sure at least one side's germaniums! :-)

All the above is true, the Knightfall 66 will be added to the stock roster asap, realistically around Christmas, but as those above have mentioned it can be ordered now by emailing me. I've a list of orders to get through before I add it to the roster, and have almost got through the backlog after surgery (some folk on here will be getting emails from me in the next few days)

In terms of Knightfall 66 vs Knightfall, it really depends what you're after. The 66 will do what the Knightfall will, and with the jacks north mounted it's around the same width once jacks are inserted, but it will also do a lot more than the Knightfall will. I use it personally as a 3-channel system: clean (bypassed), slight OD (channel 1), and dirtier OD/distortion (channel 2) while keeping a core sound due to the shared EQ, which is particularly useful when maintaining your place in a live mix while still being able to add more dirt. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's ace. Some could argue you'd get lost in the knobs and a blend isn't needed though (different debate!) and so the simplicity of the Knightfall is preferred. It sounds absolutely great without a blend, otherwise I simply wouldn't offer it without.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me anything on here or email me on [email protected]

Mods: as usual I've tried to answer questions that are in the thread and not advertise :-)