Why become a member? ×

East preamp enlightenment

mrtcat

Well last night I used a clone stingray I picked up here on this very forum at a pub gig. I've had the bass a week or two and my first move was to whip out the passive circuitry, route out a slot for a 9v battery box and then drop in a John East three knob, three band preamp. The bass plays really well after a swift setup so I thought it would be great to have a low value stingray that I can take to pubs and if I ever go for the real deal I can take the east pre out and use it in that.
I picked the preamp up from John's workshop myself so had a good chat with him. What a smashing chap he is. Clearly very passionate about quality and making really usable products. It was a doddle to fit it with the only slight tricky bit being the need to route out a chamber for the battery box.
Holy crap it sounds killer. So damn punchy and total control over the sounds. So versatile it's unreal. I'm really impressed as were the band last night. Defo a keeper and that preamp is fantastic.
One happy bass player here.

I was about to start a separate thread entitled "Missed My Mids" about how I used my only gigging bass WITHOUT a John East pre* (my Dingwall) the other night at a gig, and despite it being a fantastic bass, I really, really missed the John East pre, especially the sweepable mid control. I'd just become so used to relying on it live that I hadn't realised how much I use it.

Santa might yet be bringing me another U-Retro for the Dingwall...

* Both my Shukers have U-Retros, and there's even one in my Thunderland (in my avatar).

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1413719465' post='2581138']
I have an East in my Marcus Miller - powerful, versatile as others have said. the worst I can say is I sometimes find it too much and sneak in a passive session. But that's just my preferences.
[/quote]

I had a Marcus Miller J with the East pre - and I totally agree. It was a bit much at times and I wish I'd had the time to explore it fully. Perfect for the studio or fiddling about at home, but a bit complex when making changes "on the hoof" at gigs or reahearsals.

Some incredible tone-shaping abilities though - just not for me with the music I am currently playing. :)