Why become a member? ×

Bass cab stage positioning issue

leroydiamond

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Picked up a weekly residency with no PA support (vocal only), but the stage is quite small, so in order to insure a good sound from the back line, I positioned my bass cab center stage between the guitar rig and drums. The problem is, is that due to the stage dimensions, I am positioned on the other side of the kit, which is an obvious compromise in terms of my performance and really miss my cab stuck right behind me.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am considering re- positioning my cab right behind me, but this will mean positioning it next to the bass drum on my side, but it will be stuck right beside the side wall of the stage. Previous experience of doing this with a rear ported cab, resulted is excessive boom that could not be controlled with EQ.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Has anyone on here managed to negotiate such an issue successfully? [/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]My current cab is front ported (Bergantino CN212) with a gramma pad.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks in advance[/font][/color]

3 (non-expert...) remarks..?

1 - I presume that it's not an option to take your cab out of the middle and move the drums over by the same amount, giving you the space to put your cab nearer..?
2 - If you've not tried the cab behind you, close to the side wall, it might be worth a go. The effect of the front porting would be quite different to your previous experience. It may not be bad at all (although it could be, of course...). 'Suck it and see'..?
3 - It shouldn't be that hard to get used to the new cab positioning, surely..? I know the old habits die hard, but if the sound is right for the venue 'as is', just forget your previous placing and 'lock in' to the new approach. It's really not essential to be permanently glued to one's cab (unless you're Entwistle, perhaps..?). A bit harsh, but 'grow a pair', maybe..? [size=4](Sorry; that could have been a bit more elegant, I know... [/size] :blush: )
Hope this helps.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1413717615' post='2581090'][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Previous experience of doing this with a rear ported cab, resulted is excessive boom that could not be controlled with EQ.[/font][/color]
[/quote]Boom is easily controlled with a parametric EQ. Set the Q to medium width, set the gain to -10dB, sweep the frequency until the boom disappears. Then tweak the Q and gain to taste.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413720337' post='2581153']
3 (non-expert...) remarks..?

1 - I presume that it's not an option to take your cab out of the middle and move the drums over by the same amount, giving you the space to put your cab nearer..?
2 - If you've not tried the cab behind you, close to the side wall, it might be worth a go. The effect of the front porting would be quite different to your previous experience. It may not be bad at all (although it could be, of course...). 'Suck it and see'..?
3 - It shouldn't be that hard to get used to the new cab positioning, surely..? I know the old habits die hard, but if the sound is right for the venue 'as is', just forget your previous placing and 'lock in' to the new approach. It's really not essential to be permanently glued to one's cab (unless you're Entwistle, perhaps..?). A bit harsh, but 'grow a pair', maybe..? (Sorry; that could have been a bit more elegant, I know... :blush: )
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Yep I will give it a go and suck it and see, it is just that with a previous cab it was a disaster and band mates were not too happy, so hopefully will not have a repeat with this cab. Unfortunately the stage is really small and of course the guitar player has a floor board of effects that is the size of a swimming pool :crazy: , and the drummers rack resembles a cage fighting ring.
We have been doing this gig for sometime, but Friday night we played a new venue and I just loved having my cab in close proximity and felt that my playing benefited no end as a result, so hence my dilemma.
Thanks getting back and you were more than elegant with your comments :)

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1413721378' post='2581171']
Boom is easily controlled with a parametric EQ. Set the Q to medium width, set the gain to -10dB, sweep the frequency until the boom disappears. Then tweak the Q and gain to taste.
[/quote]

My amp does not have an on board parametric. i use a Tecamp Puma which is pretty much plug and play, a really nice amp, However I will see can I lay my hands on a parametric EQ and give it a go.
Cheers

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413796144' post='2581854']
Different cab and front ported ...would try it stuck behind you.
It may not have worked for the rear ported cab but may work this time?
[/quote]
Unless the cab is against the wall, how is this going to make a difference?

This is what the OP said...
"[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am considering re- positioning my cab right behind me, but this will mean positioning it next to the bass drum on my side, but it will be stuck right beside the side wall of the stage. Previous experience of doing this with a rear ported cab, resulted is excessive boom that could not be controlled with EQ"[/font][/color]

difficult to get a real perspective of the layout and there may be a bass trap but it is something to try ...

The boom you hear might be localised to your corner of the stage and won't be heard out front. The problem with EQing out of it is that by the time you get a sound on stage you'll have changed the sound out front to the point that it might not be what you want.

Do the rest of the band hear this boom?

Can you live with it? If not keep the cab in the middle of the stage. Shift the drums over to the side (lots of bands do this, The Crusaders Levon Helm etc). What's wrong with you standing in front of it in the middle?

I agree with the suggestions. Lifting or even just turning the cab could impact what is being heard.
Ports are omni directional though & unless the ports on the cab is less than a few inches from the wall, I believe they have no affect on sound regardless of where they are on the cab.

Like Chris B says though, what's wrong with standing in the middle? The singer doesn't have exclusive rights to that bit of the stage. :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1413801390' post='2581961']
The boom you hear might be localised to your corner of the stage and won't be heard out front. The problem with EQing out of it is that by the time you get a sound on stage you'll have changed the sound out front to the point that it might not be what you want.
[/quote]True, but seldom if ever is the tone you hear on stage the same as what's heard out front. Ideally out front is covered by the PA, controlled by a competent sound guy who knows what you're supposed to sound like. If you're not in the PA then you adjust your EQ during soundcheck using wireless or a long cord to stand out front, and live with whatever it sounds like on stage.
[quote]Ports are omni directional though & unless the ports on the cab is less than a few inches from the wall, I believe they have no affect on sound regardless of where they are on the cab.[/quote]Correct.
[quote]My (inexpert) opinion would be that the problem is to do with reflections coming off both wall and floor as having speakers positioned in corners is known to cause problems with bass frequencies. Maybe raising the cab up some may help.[/quote]Also correct. Lifting the cab by a meter or so can reduce midbass boom, while making it easier to hear the mids and highs, which will mask a midbass boom.

Thanks to all for comments. The stage is pretty cramped and there is no way I can stand in front of the cab when it is in its current position. The guitar players pedal board is just a ridiculous size, takes up a lot of space, leaving the vocalist standing centre stage and me stuck in the corner, on the other side of the drum kit.

This weekend I will position the cab behind me.The Gramma pad will possibly help in terms of isolating the cab. I will sound check with a long lead allowing me to move down the floor. I will also consider the possibility of lifting the cab further off the ground.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1413850954' post='2582850']
I put the cab where it sounds best, even if that's in the middle of the stage and you're stuck on the other side.
[/quote]
I guess that is the right thing to do. Its just that I am feeling a little selfish of late and really want to be in closer proximity to my cab, as it helps to improve my playing.
I will experiment at the weekend with re-positioning the cab, but if the overall sound suffers to a noticeable degree, I will position it back in its usual spot in the centre of the stage.

• 2 weeks later...