Why become a member? ×

The Billy Walton Band on the Cropper/Animals tour

Big_Stu

Went to see Steve Cropper with The Animals last night in Chester. Last band on before them was The Billy Walton Band, who were blistering!! Solid songs & playing all round, though I couldn't hear their horns much from front far side of them, didn't recognise any covers apart from a few bars of medlies in the final encore.
Didn't realise at the time that they're American, this is old footage not last night.........
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93_q9s3kbSA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=93_q9s3kbSA[/url]

Cropper was great as always, a lot less chat between songs and more playing this time, but we had a good old catch-up before the show and a bit after. The Animals have a new singer Danny since last tour & their new bassist Scott looks a hell of a lot like Duck Dunn. Going again to The Robin2 on Thursday; not sure if The Billy Walton Band are on the bill but they are at The Southport Blues Festival & would make a cracking night out if any BCers need a Sunday night out.

Edited by Big_Stu

A few years back they turned up one Sunday afternoon to the jam session at the Greyhound in Beeston, don't think they were known over here at all then. They subsequently did a few full gigs there but it was usually on dates I was gigging myself so only saw them at the jam, solid tight blues band. I saw Cropper with The Animals downstairs in Rock City a couple of years ago, recall the bass player's amp blew up halfway through the first set.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1413803983' post='2582017']
Scott is a top bloke. I am having some lessons from him atm.[/quote]

I'm guessing they're on hold for a month? Never seen such a tight schedule!
They're in Spain for the day today, UK gigs then France for 3 or 4, then UK again, virtually solid for a month until 23rd of Nov IIRC, incredible when two of them are top side of 70 years old.
Haven't spoken with Scott yet, but he's a red hot bassist!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1413803983' post='2582017']
Scott is a top bloke. I am having some lessons from him atm.
[/quote]

Saw Cropper again last night & spoke with them all at the soundcheck. I had a wtf moment when Scott was up; he appeared to be playing a ukelele but upon asking it's a Bass Centre Ltd Ed Bill Wyman bass. Very nice! Incredibly reedy, woody tone just right for 60s material (though Chas Chandler would have wondered what the hell was happening in Scott's slap solo :lol: ) ........... & back on the jazz for when Cropper came on.

Edited by Big_Stu