Why become a member? ×

Noise/hiss w/ Line 6 Constrictor - only when connected to certain pedals

Taria

Live I don't use any effects at all, and not much at home either. But I now have a tapping part in a new song of ours, which I have been thinking about cracking out my compressor for. I remember it being extremely noisy though so was thinking about getting something else. However, after trying it just now, it not noisy at all - very quiet in fact - on any of the settings, even with sustain right up its pretty quiet. Was my memory failing me? No. Having added my boss TU-2 tuner into the mix, there is it, that crazy hissing noisy sound - at any setting - that noise is there. So i removed the tuner, and tried linking it with the Big Muff - just the compressor and the big muff - noiseless again. Now I am thinking maybe it is just the tuner...but I swapped out the big muff and tried just the compressor and a cheap behringer delay/reverb (DR400) and the noise is back again, once more at any setting.

Can anyone offer any sort of explanation here? I don't know much about these sorts of things but I just cant really figure out why it is silent with the big muff and really noisy connected to those other 2 pedals? In case it matter I am connecting them using Djago power with the daisy chain cable that comes with it. I have tried a variety of patch leads and long leads and no changes to the above situation so nothing to do with them. (Again if it matters, bass is US Peavey Cirrus and amp is GK MB800 through a GK MB212.)

Any thoughts / advice?

The Line 6 pedals are notoriously juice hungry as they are all digital. It will be because of the power supply. You might want to try powering it from either it's own supply, or pick up an Isolator Adaptor from Diago (or GigRig Virtual Battery) that will isolate just that output of the daisy chain.

Right, OK, so you'd be better off with an "isolated brick" PSU rather than daisy chain? I spoke to an expert* once who told me it'd be less noisy to have all my pedals on one daisy chain

*an electronics dude who builds all the custom stuff for Magic Garden studio