Why become a member? ×

Avalon U5

KingPrawn

I've recently added a U5 to my rig. It appears many players use them and their price has reduced massively. I think it is the single most important piece of kit I have ever bought. It's simply stunning. The boost is so controllable and the tones are sublime. It gives a completely different dimension to your bass sound.

I'm so happy 😄😄

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1413758529' post='2581671']
A Crown? give me details. Mines hooked up to my SWR head.
[/quote]

The U5 makes a superb preamp as long as you like clean, and don't mind the presets rather than tweakable EQ. Putting it through a quality power amp like the Crown just amplifies that lovely core tone with minimum colouration.

If I really wanted more EQ options, I could create up to twenty presets of my own spec on the Crown, but i love the core tone so much, I tend to bypass the U5's presets and keep the Crown in 'DSP OFF' mode.

In addition to that that, you have a top notch DI for the sound guy to plug into.

It's ideal for my current band and sound - clean, deep and clear.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413826178' post='2582450']
What cabs would you recomend pairing them with?
[/quote]

You talkin' to me?

I've only really played this through the Super Twin, and it seems like a great match, very full and clean, with super low end clarity.

Oh, I recorded three bass tracks straight through the Avalon into the desk. Prior to that, I would usually mic up the amp, as direct to desk can sound a bit weedy, but no such issues with the Avalon. I had to have one after that

That´s an interesting use for the U5. Honestly, as a DI I think it´s totally overpriced compared to other products in the same sonic league. I have one in the studio just to impress clients but I don´t use it since I prefer other DIs. The use as a basspre shines a new light on it, though. I have to check that out. Great idea...

Edited by jensenmann

as said above these are amazing sounding preamps, but if you're after a specific sound that you need to do some EQ tweaking to find then these aren't going to do it for you by themselves. they are an excellent preamp and a great way of transferring your bass sound into the desk, or into an amp, but they aren't going to do what you'd expect from a preamp that has valves or graphic/parametric eq systems. but remember that you can tweak the sound both before and after the avalon if you're searching for a specific sound. I personally think it sounds amazing and love using it in studio situations (never run it with my bass rig yet, but have used it as a DI in a gig where there was no need for a back line and it sounded great).

The other really useful thing is if you're using a smaller audio interface, this frees up your Mic preamps because you can just plug from this into the instrument line in's and can use your limited number of Mic preamps for other things.