Why become a member? ×

Wireless systems

synthaside

I've recently started using a G30 and so far so good, the battery door on the transmitter does feel a bit flimsy but I put mine in a Levys holder which is pretty snug so it can't open anyway. To be honest though,if I was buying right now i'd be all over the Sony unit that Russ posted the link to, especially at that price!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1413804827' post='2582035']
I have just made the jump after pickup up a used akg system. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the tone, it has changed slightly, but nothing that a very slight tweak of an eq can't sort out.
Mines an Akg wms40, picked it up for £40, so not a big risk but it will be staying now!
[/quote]

Plus 100 for the AKG Wms. I bought two last year for the guitare and myself. £79 each. They do three different frequencies and I have wandered off to 50mtrs with no signal loss. Battery life is seriously good. 30 hours continuous use apparently although Ive not actually tried that.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1413986104' post='2584426']
I've recently started using a G30 and so far so good, the battery door on the transmitter does feel a bit flimsy but I put mine in a Levys holder which is pretty snug so it can't open anyway. To be honest though,if I was buying right now i'd be all over the Sony unit that Russ posted the link to, especially at that price!
[/quote]

I wrap a few small rubber bands around the transmitter over the battery door, works like a charm. I keep the transmitter in my front pocket at gigs.

Blue

Similar to an earlier post, I've been wireless since the 80's with Nady, Samson Airline and now the Line6 G30 system. I've experienced no sound quality issues with the G30 which IMO offers better quality than the previous analogue systems. IME there isn't a practical advantage for the G50 over the G30. In fact I got a G30 because it uses a standard jack connection (unlike the G50) so you can replace the lead easily and cheaply if needed.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414132983' post='2586143']
I've not had any issue with mine in over 100 gigs. It feels flimsy and not very secure but it's never come open.
[/quote]
Yes perhaps flimsy wasn't the right word, what I mean is it always looks like the battery compartment door isn't quite shut properly, but as you say, it hasn't actually come open.

I must admit I've always used it In a pouch on my strap.
I've just got a new strap and pouch but the two don't seem to work together very well, so for a while I'm going to have to use the transmitter just clipped to the strap. I am now a bit worried but I'll have to see how it goes.

My problem is, we play in two different turnings, which means changing of guitars quite a lot throughout the set. If I fix the system securely on the strap, it's quite a hassle changing to another strap. Using the same strap is also a problem what with strap locks. It's just easier to pick up a guitar with the strap already fixed on.
I used systems in the past where I used to stick the sender in my back pocket but that seems a bit dodgy, especially if I go for some acrobatic guitar swinging. Short of buying two systems, suggestions would be welcome :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1413933411' post='2583911']
pssttt....

looks like they are back - even cheaper - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/sony_dwz_b30gb_guitar_set.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._guitar_set.htm[/url]
[/quote]

However the availability has gone form being available today to being available shortly… Did anyone get one this time around?

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1414504980' post='2589932']
My problem is, we play in two different turnings, which means changing of guitars quite a lot throughout the set. If I fix the system securely on the strap, it's quite a hassle changing to another strap. Using the same strap is also a problem what with strap locks. It's just easier to pick up a guitar with the strap already fixed on.
I used systems in the past where I used to stick the sender in my back pocket but that seems a bit dodgy, especially if I go for some acrobatic guitar swinging. Short of buying two systems, suggestions would be welcome :)
[/quote]

What do you mean about the strap locks? Don't you have them on both basses? I find the Schaller strap locks are very fast to attach and release, although I supose some would find them slow.

I'd say buying another transmitter would be the best option. If you want the hassle free convincence of having the transmitter on the strap.
Most systems will work with more than one transmitter, although only one at a time at this end of the range.
The Line6 system has 6 easily switchable channels, all you would need to to is move the switch on the top depending on which transmitter is being used. You wouldn't even need to turn them off during the gig.

No, I sugested buying two transmitters. I'm sure you can get hold of a second transmitter once you buy the first full system. I supose you would need to contact the manufacturer for this.
I had two for my old AKG Bug system a few years ago, although one was just a back up with a fresh battery in it.

I supose it might seem extravagant but I can't see any other way if you have to use two basses.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414505175' post='2589938']

However the availability has gone form being available today to being available shortly… Did anyone get one this time around?
[/quote]

That Sony system just came back yesterday at Thomann - ordered one last night and the shipment confirmation this morning.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1414673052' post='2592059']
That Sony system just came back yesterday at Thomann - ordered one last night and the shipment confirmation this morning.
[/quote]

And I just picked up a second system. The transmitter will go on my backup bass and the receiver in my BassPod only rig that I use when I'm going to be sharing someone else's bass amp.

Sorted!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414683741' post='2592230']

And I just picked up a second system. The transmitter will go on my backup bass and the receiver in my BassPod only rig that I use when I'm going to be sharing someone else's bass amp.

Sorted!
[/quote]

Don't forget your batteries!

Just bought the Line6 G50 myself and have to say it is cracking. I had a samson airline unit many years ago and it was complete rubbish absolutely choked the tone and very unreliable. The Line6 unit sounds mint, first gig with it on 8th, so hopefully I still think its mint after that!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1414760314' post='2593017']
Eneloops are where it's at. Got a fleet of 24 AAs for all my wireless! :P

Certainly cheaper than burning through non rechargeables. I recharge them every gig and every month let them run flat for a full recharge.
[/quote]

Yeah, i must admit i do tend to recharge mine even quite often, even though they dont always need it.
Im not sure this sort of battery needs a full discharge/recharge cycle, especially not if using a smart charger. guess it cant hurt though (or maybe it can, ive read conflicting reports). I always thought that was just for the older NiCad's.