Why become a member? ×

Wireless systems

synthaside

Hey folks

The rhythm guitarist in the my aforementioned work Christmas party band has been bending my ear about going wireless.
Mainly because he's brought a system and wants to move around like a loony

While I'm in IT by trade , I've always been fairly analogue in my choice of kit does anyone have experience of the mid to lower end wireless kit Ala thomann specials [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=wireless_for_guitar_bass&oa=pra"]http://www.thomann.d...tar_bass&oa=pra[/url]

My concerns are .... does it have the low end response ? Im assuming the kits mainly for "Git-ars" ;-)

any idea's or should i just bite the bullet and try one for Bass - Science ;-) i was needing a cable anyway

synth

Edited by synthaside

I have just made the jump after pickup up a used akg system. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the tone, it has changed slightly, but nothing that a very slight tweak of an eq can't sort out.
Mines an Akg wms40, picked it up for £40, so not a big risk but it will be staying now!

I went wireless with Line 6s G-30 relay 5 years ago and I will tell you, even though I had been using chords for 50 years I'll never go back to using a chord.

It's first in my pedal board chain, no antennas (right side), it's a clean addition.

blue

Edited by blue

I have been wireless since the 80s and would never go back. The line6 is very good but I thought a bit flimsey around the cable area, I currently use a stageclix which is pretty bombproof and you dont have to worry about batteries as it recharges itself when not in use. Downside is on an active bass it sometimes needs an extension cable as it can amplify the preamp noise.

FWIW I have an old Samson at home, this is quite suceptible to interference, particularly my pc

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1413865048' post='2582870']
I have heard the line 6 is a great piece of kit but was wondering, is it worth going for the G 50 or is the G30 good enough?
[/quote]

I have been gigging with the G-30 since 2009. Not one problem ever.

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1413865048' post='2582870']
I have heard the line 6 is a great piece of kit but was wondering, is it worth going for the G 50 or is the G30 good enough?
[/quote]

I have a G30 and our old guitarist had a G50. Construction-wise the 50 is maybe a bit sturdier but sound-wise I couldn't hear any difference.

I've been using wireless systems for as long as I can remember - certainly 90's onwards. Guitar TX packs (currently using an old but perfectly usable AT 3110), mics, IEMS - the whole works! Anything to be rid of the dreaded tether between myself and the amp and a multitude of cables taped to the floor.

Doesit change my tone? I've never been convinced that it does to any noticeable degree in a live band environment.

Edited by DaytonaRik

Ive been using the cheaper AKG WMS systems for the past 11 years. Never had any issues with them but last year i got a Line6 G30. The extra clarity can be heard when close up to the amp, but not when the band are playing.
it also lasts me about 3 gigs on one set of rechargeable, a bit longer than my old WMS40 system.

We dont do huge gigs, and in fact i use them because the stages are so small its too easy to stand on my lead. Its also handy for me to go out front at sound check and sort the mix out.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1413901823' post='2583345']
I've got an Ashdown wireless system its not great but I never use it because I dont play many if any venues where I can move around anyway!!

I'm usually stood on top of the drummer and whacking the guitarists with my headstock!
[/quote]

I play some of the smallest clubs in Milwaukee and I find not having a cord in small spaces is just as much a relief as playing on the large festival stages.

Blue