Why become a member? ×

Ultimate Bass - Custom o is there something close?

brensabre79

[b]LONG VERSION[/b] (Scroll down for short version)

I've spent years tinkering with Fenders and others to turn them into my own signature models if you like, it might be a simple electronics tweak, replacement bridges, tuners etc. etc.

Lately though I've found myself in a situation beyond my skills...

I really love the tone, definition and sustain I'm getting from my modded R*ck*nb****r because of the through-neck design. But it's a cumbersome beast and, to be honest, the neck profile on my Lakland is way nicer.

I'd wanted to add a 3rd pickup to my Lakland (Decade) in the mid position (Jazz neck PU position), but Hanson were concerned about the magnetic pull of the (now microphonic) pickups. I'm not in love with the sound either.

Tone wise (and comfort) I actually prefer my old 74 Jazz - with custom Wizard PUs and an EMG pre. All the tones are instantly useable, fat and growly... but I do like having the option of an end-of-the-neck pickup too, for that 60s vibe. My Jazz has a neck like a baseball bat though, so it's not that comfy on a 4 hour gig.

So Ideally what I'd love to get a hold of is a through-neck Jazz bass, with the neck contour of my Lakland Decade, and an extra pickup at the end of the neck.

My dad told me to buy an Ibanez SR and mod it. Trouble is, I don't get on with the looks... and I like a maple fretboard (with blocks and binding of course) which they don't seem to do, and they are bolt-on.

So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go down the custom built route, and while I can assemble a Fender style bass from parts, and set it up quite nicely. Through necks are a different thing altogether...

I'm not sure I've got custom money though, some of the ones I see around are £2-4k and up, and I can't justify that without a divorce - which i have no intention of doing.

[b]SHORT VERSION[/b]

Are there any nice through-neck basses I can use as a starting point to customise electrics and hardware? Preferably with a comfy Fender-ish body? And not costing the earth since I'll be rebuilding a lot of it.

Ibanez Musician basses are thru-neck, with a nice comfy feel (IMO). Twin pickups that look like humbuckers but are (IIRC) single coil.

They occasionally come up on here and Ebay and can often be had for around £400 - which is a great price for a bass of that quality. They tend to be a bit heavy though, and I don't think they come in a maple fingerboard version....

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1413890873' post='2583134']
Tone wise (and comfort) I actually prefer my old 74 Jazz - with custom Wizard PUs and an EMG pre. All the tones are instantly useable, fat and growly... but I do like having the option of an end-of-the-neck pickup too, for that 60s vibe. My Jazz has a neck like a baseball bat though, so it's not that comfy on a 4 hour gig.
[/quote]
Get a Squier vintage modified 70s jazz, then route it for the extra pickup you want, and slap in the pickups and preamp you want and job done - every box ticked except the neckthru one.

Thanks James.
I want it now, this afternoon, and I want it to be so good that I never need to look at another bass ever.

but, I'm a realist...
Looking around some of the nicer Bass Store websites I can see that some of the boutique makers and custom makers would not be out of the question. Although even the custom luthiers seem to each have their own style, mostly involving exotic timbers and even more exotic shapes. I wouldn't want to ask someone to build something far away from what they normally do, because it's a risk for all parties.

As Conan pointed out, there are instruments around that might fit the bill. I saw a gorgeous looking white Musician Bass on a UK website, but it had sold some time ago.

I was looking at the two pickup Aria SB range too - again not many around. But I did wonder if there was something I'd missed. SO keep the suggestions coming :)

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1413907111' post='2583448']
Get a Squier vintage modified 70s jazz, then route it for the extra pickup you want, and slap in the pickups and preamp you want and job done - every box ticked except the neckthru one.
[/quote]
Thanks! Done that, with a VM Jazz neck and P-Body. I still have it, and the neck is lovely, but for me, not one bolt-on has had the same feel a the through neck basses I've played. It's gotta be a through neck for me I'm afraid...