Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

Maybe what you're after is an OLP MM5 Baritone guitar..? Can be tuned as a baritone, or down a full octave for use as a bass. Not very expensive (I bought mine several years ago for under £200...). Excellent in both roles, 30" scale length, sounds like a grand piano being hammered, and so useful for NIN-type bass lines. I believe there's a Danelectro model in a similar vein. Any good..?
[attachment=174395:OLP_MM5_Bari.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

I doubt any standard guitar strings are available in heavy enough gauges.

However have a look at the strings that Fernandes use for their PIEZO bass guitars that only 25.5" scale length. That should get you suitable E-G strings and then use guitar strings for the B and E.

You'll need to get the nut re-cut and maybe also the bridge saddles for the increase string thicknesses.

I use Ernie Ball 'not even slinky' strings to tune two whole tones down on one of my six strings (C F Bb Eb G C). Major third below standard and they're nicely playable at that tension on a 25.5 inch scale neck.

A baritone six is usually either a perfect fifth, perfect fourth or major third below standard.

You can buy replacement baritone necks to fit standard Fender guitars from Warmoth USA but for the price picking up a cheap baritone is a better bet for experimenting.

A company called Circle K strings makes all gauges, and has sets for such applications. They are listed under "Bass VI" sets, and go to 18's which would have really light tension at a standard 25 1/2 inch scale, and "normal light" tension at baritone 28 1/2 or so scale.
http://www.circlekstrings.com

You can make a B-B baritone easily using a standard guitar and fairly standard strings.

If you think about it, the highest five strings of a B-B set are the same as the lowest five strings of an E-E set (pedantry: one of the strings is out by a semitone). So just take a standard set of guitar strings and move them all one position, so put the low E where the A string normally goes, A string where the D normally is, etc. Find a suitable single string for the low B (I think D'addario and Ernie Ball both do very heavy singles, you probably want something like 0.60---or buy a single bass G string of suitable size) and Bob's your mother's brother.

You may need a new nut to do this but finding the strings should be straightforward. Guys on another forum I frequent have done this and claim it works great. Its not quite the same as a proper longscale baritone but it would probably work for what you want to do.

Edited by uncle psychosis