Why become a member? ×

4 ohm 2 x 10 cab

Kevin Dean

My band uses an electric drum kit & therefor it goes through the PA after trying several set ups we prefer the active pa sub being behind us , with very little room in most if the pubs we play in I put , my Asdown 2x10 on top of the sub & it all looks very tidy , the only thing is I'm not getting all of that power out of my Abm 400RH , the bass is going through the PA but only for a bit of spread & I'd like to get more punch out of the 2x10 ,The other option is to trade the head against the 1000w version I suppose as the cab is rated at 500w rms @ 8 ohms.

Guest monsterthompson

[url="http://www.tecamp.de/en/products/cabinets/51-m-210.html#specifications"]http://www.tecamp.de/en/products/cabinets/51-m-210.html#specifications[/url] TecAmp M210 available in 4 ohm. Lots of love for this cab from other players online. I almost grabbed one once, but ended up in another camp for reasons which are neither here nor there. Also the Barefaced 210 is not yet available, or at least not to my knowledge.

Edited by monsterthompson

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1413933262' post='2583909']
the only thing is I'm not getting all of that power out of my Abm 400RH
[/quote]Going to a 4 ohm cab probably won't make any difference. Speaker output is limited by the driver excursion capacity, and that's not affected by impedance. Very few tens will take much more than 100w before they reach maximum excursion. The SICA drivers in your cab, for instance, max out in excursion at 100w each in the low end, so a larger amp won't make any difference either. Bottom line, you can only get so much out of a 2x10.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413959937' post='2583965']
ive a 4ohm acme cab, you could have it if you want, but it will be quieter than your current cab with that amp, and as bill says not solve your problem!
why not use the barefaced cab in your sig?
[/quote]The barefaced is a great cab & I do use it with other bands , But with this set up , I just can't hear it when I'm so close to it & the 2 x10 stacked up with all the other stuff at more of a ear level on tight stages , Alex did suggest the big baby II cab but the 8 ohms put me off , but from what your saying that won't make any difference ?

It's a more efficient cab that you want. A 4 ohm cab doesn't make it more efficient, it just means that you get a very slight increase in volume at the cost of overworking your amp.
More efficient means a cab that has been designed around the drivers being used & the drivers being able to produce some decibels.

The difference between 4 ohm & 8 ohm cabs (if they're the same, such as 2 MarkBass 2x10s), is @ 3 decibels.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413972882' post='2584156']

The difference between 4 ohm & 8 ohm cabs (if they're the same, such as 2 MarkBass 2x10s), is @ 3 decibels.
[/quote]
Realistically it's not even going 3dB. Most amps produce about 50-60% more power when dropping from 8 to 4 ohms, so about 2dB or less increase in volume.

Relying on a drop in impedance to get more volume is a poor way of achieving the goal.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413972882' post='2584156']
[/quote]The difference is 3dB higher sensitivity for the 4 ohm cab with the same voltage input. The difference in maximum output is zero, because that's limited by the driver excursion, which is the same.

Everything was fine until the drummer who is also the singer decided he liked having the Sub behind him & I must admit the bass drum does sound good compared to what was coming through the monitors . I'm thinking about adapting his drum stool so it fits in the pole mounting in the sub ;)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1413982999' post='2584377']
Everything was fine until the drummer who is also the singer decided he liked having the Sub behind him & I must admit the bass drum does sound good compared to what was coming through the monitors .
[/quote]That's all well and good, but what does it sound like where it counts, in the audience? Having subs (and you need more than one unless the room is tiny) on stage is not the best placement where driving the room is concerned.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1413988796' post='2584463']
Why would it be pointless?
[/quote]
Because you're not getting any more noticeable volume out of a 4 ohm 2x10 cab than what you would out of an 8 ohm one. :)
If you're going to run an amp at its minimum load, then it makes sense to make sure that the cab(s) are going to make the best use of running your amp hot.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1413990303' post='2584501']
That's all well and good, but what does it sound like where it counts, in the audience? Having subs (and you need more than one unless the room is tiny) on stage is not the best placement where driving the room is concerned.
[/quote]We are playing small venues & I have to admit I like the sound & feel of the bass drum rather than the thin sound that we were getting through the monitors & it still sounds great out front .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1413993603' post='2584569']
We are playing small venues & I have to admit I like the sound & feel of the bass drum rather than the thin sound that we were getting through the monitors & it still sounds great out front .
[/quote]
The best pacement is on the floor in front of the stage. Try it at the next gig.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413993573' post='2584568']
Because you're not getting any more noticeable volume out of a 4 ohm 2x10 cab than what you would out of an 8 ohm one. :)
If you're going to run an amp at its minimum load, then it makes sense to make sure that the cab(s) are going to make the best use of running your amp hot.
[/quote]

Sorry, I'm new here. I don't get this. I have an Ashdown MiBass 550 .... which puts out 550 watts at 4 Ohms - but probably only about 300 and something at 8 Ohms. So ........ surely, there will be a higher volume at any given level on the dial if it is a 4 Ohm rather than 8 Ohm?

I'm interested y'see as I'm kinda slight and would like a lightweight cab ..... and any help with output would be good.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1413993810' post='2584574']
Sorry, I'm new here. I don't get this. I have an Ashdown MiBass 550 .... which puts out 550 watts at 4 Ohms - but probably only about 300 and something at 8 Ohms. So ........ surely, there will be a higher volume at any given level on the dial if it is a 4 Ohm rather than 8 Ohm?

I'm interested y'see as I'm kinda slight and would like a lightweight cab ..... and any help with output would be good.
[/quote]

Watts & ohms are often missold as being what makes volume. It's like me saying my car with a 6 speed gearbox is faster than your one with 5 gears (it isn't a fact, my 5 speed Honda was much faster than my 6 speed Nissan :) ).
It's worth reading what Bill has said on this page & also on his website's forum...
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/

And it's also worth reading up on what wisdom comes from Alex as Barefaced...
http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm

All good worthwhile reading. :)

& welcome to the forum. I hope it serves you well.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1413993810' post='2584574']

[/quote]

I think what is being said (by those with far more knowledge on the subject than myself!) Is that the difference in running your amp at its minimum load, I.e 4 ohm instead of 8, will only give you a 3 dB increase, which is minimal and that you can only get a certain amount out of two ten inch drivers. If two tens won't cut it at 8 ohms, it's more than likely they won't at 4 ohms either.