Why become a member? ×

4 ohm 2 x 10 cab

Kevin Dean

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1413981329' post='2584346']
The difference is 3dB higher sensitivity for the 4 ohm cab with the same voltage input. The difference in maximum output is zero, because that's limited by the driver excursion, which is the same.
[/quote]
Logic; not used to seeing that on the web. So many folks get swayed by the idea of a 500w amp at 8 ohms becoming 1,000w at 4 ohms because they think that things are linear, and that big number looks tempting. I've never had a 4 and 8 ohm cab of the same design side-by-side to swap and hear/feel the difference myself. I've only ever gone from 8ohms to 4 ohms by adding a second cab, which is really the driving force behind the louder output in the room.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413993745' post='2584572']
The best pacement is on the floor in front of the stage. Try it at the next gig.
[/quote] What about if I placed it under the Pa Top speaker via the mounting pole ,like we use to , But put it pointing across the "stage" sureley with bass being none directional our drummer & Audience would hear it without deafening me ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414000949' post='2584738']
What about if I placed it under the Pa Top speaker via the mounting pole ,like we use to , But put it pointing across the "stage" sureley with bass being none directional our drummer & Audience would hear it without deafening me ?
[/quote]
If the PA top is off stage, then yes.
Having it on stage can be a bit of a pain to get a good clear low end that shakes the glasses (a bit like how you can get boom from your bass cab on stage).

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1413993810' post='2584574']
Sorry, I'm new here. I don't get this. I have an Ashdown MiBass 550 .... which puts out 550 watts at 4 Ohms - but probably only about 300 and something at 8 Ohms. So ........ surely, there will be a higher volume at any given level on the dial if it is a 4 Ohm rather than 8 Ohm?

I'm interested y'see as I'm kinda slight and would like a lightweight cab ..... and any help with output would be good.
[/quote]

Hi Jenny as everyone has said doubling the power gives you an extra 3db which is like turning your amp up one notch, not like doubling the volume. If you want detail go here, its a little technical but I hope straightforward http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

The point is that some cabs can make more use of power than others. This is measures in dB's per watt. The worst cabs for this might make only 90dB for 1W the best maybe 102dB for the same power, this is more than the 3dB you get by doubling the power. In fact you'd need 16x the power through the first speaker to make it sound like the second! The trouble is most of these super loud speakers are big and heavy. It is possible to get loud and light but these cabs tend to be expensive because you need a good quality driver with an expensive magnet system to achieve both these aims.