Why become a member? ×

Removing machine head bushings

Osiris

I was lucky enough to recently meet Holger Sandberg and to have a brief chat with him. During the conversation I told him of my wish to swap the chrome hardware on my Sandberg VM for a set of black hardware. At the time he said that it can be tricky to remove the machine head bushings but the conversation moved on and I didn't get the chance to ask him how best to remove them without damaging the headstock.

Anyway, I've just got a new set of black machine heads to replace the chrome ones on my VM and want to change them ASAP but obviously don't want to risk doing any damage. Does anyone know how best to remove the bushings?

I found a guy on youtube who suggested using a thick shafted screwdriver and wiggling it about in the bushing while it's still fitted ( :blink: ) but I can't see this being a wise thing to do. Surely there's a better way than that?

Edited by Osiris

I would buy some wooden dowel from a timber suppliers. The same (or as close to) diameter as the hole. Lay the neck face down on some padding, with the head-stock raised slightly. Insert the dowel so it is over the inner rim of the bushing and gently tap out with a hammer. If the dowel is small then tap evenly around the rim of the bushing.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413915433' post='2583599']
I would buy some wooden dowel from a timber suppliers. The same (or as close to) diameter as the hole. Lay the neck face down on some padding, with the head-stock raised slightly. Insert the dowel so it is over the inner rim of the bushing and gently tap out with a hammer. If the dowel is small then tap evenly around the rim of the bushing.
[/quote]

That's how I've done it a few times and with no damage :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1413968329' post='2584076']

That's how I've done it a few times and with no damage :)
[/quote]
I did the same, but using a large flat-end screwdriver. If you so this, just tap lightly and move the screwdriver round as you go. It might damage the bush slightly, but if used again that edge never gets seen anyway.

It's usually pretty easy to tap them out from the back, using a large screwdriver and a hammer. Make sure the headstock is supported well (I usually do it on my lap) and don't be too hamfisted with the hammer (gentle tapping usually does the trick in the end). Some folks will insist that the old bushings are squeezed out using some sort of special clamp and other fittings. Sounds like way too much trouble to me and I have changed many, many bushings using a hammer and screwdriver with no issue apart from the potential one described below, which would not be cured by squeezing rather that tapping the old bushings out anyway.
The only issue is that sometimes the bushing takes a lump of the laquer on the front face of the headstock off with it. Usually this lump is small enough to be covered by the new bushing, but there is no guarantee of that I suppose.

I'm not against the screw driver method, but I've a history of taking gouges out of wood with metal implements at inopportune times.

Like, I would tap the bushings out with a screw driver, do the job, but keep the driver in my hand when handling the bass and stab the front of the thing or something.

I opened a cupboard once and a steel rule fell out and dinged the back of the custom Cabronita I had on the kitchen bench. I'd only had the bass 5 minutes! :angry: