Why become a member? ×

New String Day! Elixir Steel coated strings with sound test against Fender 7250ML nickels on my Squire VM Jazz

Mornats

I bought my first ever set of Elixir Steel coated strings today and did a little sound test to compare them against the strings my bass came with.

I usually go for warm-sounding, not so bright nickelwound strings on my basses. My current favourite strings are Overwater Nickelwound/GHS Bass Boomers (which I swear are the same string as they feel the same, sound the same and have the same lifespan/degradation). I don't usually go for bright sounding strings or steels in general.

This changed when I got my new Squire VM Jazz. It came with a set of the usual Fender 7250ML nickel strings. They sounded great at first, nice and zingy like a jazz bass should sound. That nice zingyness died within a week of having the bass (the strings could have been older, it depends how long it was on display in the shop for). So decided to give some Elixirs a go as I liked that fresh zingy sound on my jazz. I've read that the Elixir steel strings sound similar to fresh nickels so I ordered a pack from String Slingers on Ebay (great service) and here we are. So I tested the 4-week old Fender strings against the brand new Elixir steels.

I'll report back in a few months to let you know how I'm getting on with them. For my own reference, the input gain on the Forte interface was at 11 (line level). I'll do another recording and that will make sure everything is the same. So here's the test, and the blurb I wrote about it on Soundcloud. Apologies for the crappy timing, I was keen to try my new strings!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mornats/elixir-strings-comparison"]https://soundcloud.c...ings-comparison[/url]

And of course you want a pic of the bass. Why not eh?

[url="https://flic.kr/p/pqVm5C"][/url]

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]This is a demo to compare the sound of a brand new set of Elixir Steel coated strings versus 4-week old Fender 7250ML nickelwound strings on a Squire VM Jazz.[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]The Fender strings had light to medium usage and was gigged twice during those 4 weeks (30 mins set each time) and were on the bass when bought new (4 weeks prior to this test).[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Tone was on full for all tests (which is how I usually keep it). Playing position is how I usually play (over neck pickup unless I've got the bridge pickup soloed).[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Recording direct into a Focusrite Forte with no eq or compression at all. Drum track is EZDrummer Modern Kit.[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]The Elixir strings were quieter than the Fender strings so I gave them a 2.4db boost to even out the volume.[/font][/color][list]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]First set of 4 bars = Both pickups full, played over neck pickup, Fender strings.[/font][/color]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Second set of 4 bars = Both pickups full, played over neck pickup, Elixir strings.[/font][/color]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Third set of 4 bars = Neck pickup soloed, played over neck pickup, Fender strings.[/font][/color]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Fourth set of 4 bars = Neck pickup soloed, played over neck pickup, Elixir strings.[/font][/color]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Fifth set of 4 bars = Bridge pickup soloed, played over bridge pickup, Fender strings.[/font][/color]
[*][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Sixth set of 4 bars = Bridge pickup soloed, played over bridge pickup, Elixir strings.[/font][/color]
[/list]

Edited by Mornats

My first thoughts on the Elixirs.

They feel nice. Not like steel strings at all. They have a little more tension than the nickels but I like this as it plays nice and tight now.

Sound wise they sound very similar to the nickels but with some top end bite (that's the zingyness I wanted) but not as bright as the Fenders were when they were new. I expected them to be a little brighter with them being steel strings albeit coated ones. However I think they actually fall into that just-off-the-edge-of-bright that I like. If they keep this tone for a long time I'll be happy.

They're quieter than the nickels. I had to give the Elixir parts of the demo a 2.4db boost to match the volume of the nickels.

The Elixirs also lack a bit of bottom end. I can add this back in on my MarkBass though and it gives the bas a nice bit of welly. A really nice sound actually.

Through my amp there's more top end than what comes out of the recording. I don't know if this is due to the presence of the drum track covering some high end or not. It sounds better through my amp anyway.

So far, I'm really happy with them. But as I said, I'll keep you updated :)

Haha! Yes it's a beauty. An incredible bass for very little money. I keep reading that people upgrade loads of things on these but I'm struggling to think what would need replacing...

And because you like the look of it, here's the link to all the pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/sets/72157648516414689

:)

Edited by Mornats