Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jaguar for £118 new?

Annoying Twit

Mine has turned up today and well..............its £118 very well spent, only played it through headphones and it appears to be the loudest bass ive got, even more output then the Entwistle equipped Cort ive got, I think it will get a set of flats on it to try and tame it but generally im well pleased, a little tweak of the truss rod and a fiddle with the saddles has got the action down to more than acceptable levels which has also been said before, neck wise it feels very similar to the Jazz necks ive played maybe only a slightly deeper profile but nothing at all worth worrying about. Gigging on Sunday so this will make its debut, if your humming and harring take the plunge, cant go wrong for the price.

Edited by DarkHeart

I have a mighty fine lefty Fender style neck that screams "put me into a Jag body". I was about to post a "wanted" thread with a request for Jag bass body, but now I feel tempted to buy this... Would sell the electronics and put a EB-3 pickup set.

OK, so as promised here's a few pics of my VM Jag with a mint green scratch plate and a VM Tele neck.

It's now cost rather more than £118 (or the £150 that I paid), but I think looks pretty cool. I far prefer the chunkier neck too.

Phil

PS. The old neck is looking for a home: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248899-

[attachment=175734:Jag 1.jpg][attachment=175735:Jag 2.jpg][attachment=175736:Jag 3.jpg]

Edited by philw

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1415410107' post='2600168']
I gigged mine on Sunday and was blown away, for £118 this is awesome value for money, if i could get a white one for the same price i would. Its got tone by the bucket load especially with the flats, neck is quick and its not too heavy, whats not to like?
[/quote]

Apparently it was only the black one that didn't sell well so had to be shifted by dropping the price. The other colour options were silver and red (all with rosewood fingerboards) and they're both now pretty hard to find. The only way you'll get a white one is by refinishing the body, which, if done professionally, will cost significantly more than you paid for the bass in the first place. I know where you're coming from though, I really want mine in a kind of rich surf green (with a humbucker at the neck while I'm at it).

What flats have you put on yours? I was wondering about flats but I don't want the tone to go too dull and thumpy - I still need a bit of twang and cut for some songs.

Phil

Edited by philw

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1414055963' post='2585181']
Always thought these would be a very versatile bass if you snuck a P pickup in there in the std Fender position, which looks "free". The Pickguard will cover any routing.
[/quote]
The pickguard finishes just too high up for a P pickup in the traditional place. The bottom of the DG side would be half way over the screw holes, and touching, if not over the metal control plate. A luthier put a set of SCBP-3s in mine further up, quite close to the neck. its a different sound, very modern, and surprisingly not very muddy. For more tonal variety, I've put a "Ricky Switch" in (puts a capacitor in series with the bridge pickup). Gives it a brighter attack with both pickups on, sounds beautiful. I would like a P pickup close to the standard position too, but time and money... :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='JiJ' timestamp='1416581859' post='2611674']

The pickguard finishes just too high up for a P pickup in the traditional place. The bottom of the DG side would be half way over the screw holes, and touching, if not over the metal control plate. A luthier put a set of SCBP-3s in mine further up, quite close to the neck. its a different sound, very modern, and surprisingly not very muddy. For more tonal variety, I've put a "Ricky Switch" in (puts a capacitor in series with the bridge pickup). Gives it a brighter attack with both pickups on, sounds beautiful. I would like a P pickup close to the standard position too, but time and money... :)
[/quote]

Re opening this thread as I spotted one on Le Bay for £95 and instantly thought that I could fit another pickup. Any chance of a pic of aforementioned mod? Probably don't need another bass but it looks fun :P