Why become a member? ×

leaving the tweeter hole on a vented cab.

lefrash

This might be a very generalised question and a straight answer might not be possible but thought I'd ask anyway.

I ahave a cheapo 2x10 cab fitted with a couple if nice neo speakers. I disconnected the tweeter, the last time I had the thing open I removed the tweeter and just left the hole. It's on the front panel between the two speakers. I might just be imagining it bbut the cabinet seems to be super bassy in some venues. Has this gaping hole totally knocked the balance off the sound of the cabinet?

I think I've tossed the tweeter out so can't just put it back in to try.

If the tweeter was not in it's own sealed section and this new gaping hole peers right into the main body of the cab, then yes, it has made a difference.

Cab design is a bit of a science, the size of the enclosure and the ports are tuned to the specific speakers used. But if you've thrown two random speakers into it, all bets are off and adding the new port there might have made it better rather than worse!

You've added another port and changed the tuning frequency; that might be what you're hearing or it might not. When I took the tweeter out of my cab, I made a little plywood panel to screw over the hole. Paint it black and you'll never notice it behind the grille.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413973716' post='2584172']
You've added another port and changed the tuning frequency; that might be what you're hearing or it might not. When I took the tweeter out of my cab, I made a little plywood panel to screw over the hole. Paint it black and you'll never notice it behind the grille.
[/quote]

Did the same with mine except I glued and screwed it on because I was possibly a bit too paranoid about rattles.

Also, I didn't paint it black because I'm lazy enough to convince myself I preferred the bodged look.