Why become a member? ×

Five String Jazz Basses talk to me?! NOW A NBD THREAD !!!!!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415380740' post='2599822']
I want it to sound like the squier one I sold! Really happy with the way it plays and the build though, just needs beefing up, never had the volume knobs so high on any of my amps! I'm running the bass nearly flat out on the shuttle 3.0.
[/quote]

Get the circuit from BG and put it in a box. B and T with mid scoop switch. Or borrow my Microbass for a gig or so and see what that does for you. In fact, you could borrow my whole pedal board and have a proper laugh on Mustang Sally :-p

The reason you are running your bass so high is that on your stingray you are boosting the bass before it hits the genz pre. Being passive, to get the same amount of bass response from the jazz, you're gonna have to crank the amp. If you don't want that, it's defo a case of running another pre for the jazz in front of the genz pre.

Isn't Pete comparing the new bass to a Squier though. Unless that had a pre amp in it then it's nothing to do with outboard gear IMO.

Both basses should be sound pretty similar unless the pups or wiring is faulty. Not sure what Squier Pete had before, maybe it was a VM with the hot Duncan designed pups in it.

OK I am up in my pyjamas feeling like sh*t but I am having a play! I made a little Genz mountain to play with, the valve is key I think, the FET only 3.0 really lacks punch where I love it with a Ray, probably my favourite tone from the three amps when using a Ray. the valve only preamp 6.0 is [b]much [/b]better that is when I realised I was onto something, again the FET channel on my 9.2max normally does it for me but not with the Jazz, it sounds LOADS better through the valve channel, really getting somewhere with it now. I had a proper play with every knob in the extremes and the Valve channel is where the Jazz needs to be with both pickups on full, the FET channel is where the Stingrays go, pointing straight up pretty nuetral settings on the Rays and use the treble pot to change from any style of music, I really like Stingrays you know :D

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141108_101738_zpsoymxr8pc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141108_101738_zpsoymxr8pc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141108_095635_zpszykodh5c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141108_095635_zpszykodh5c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1415443489' post='2600345']
Isn't Pete comparing the new bass to a Squier though. Unless that had a pre amp in it then it's nothing to do with outboard gear IMO.

Both basses should be sound pretty similar unless the pups or wiring is faulty. Not sure what Squier Pete had before, maybe it was a VM with the hot Duncan designed pups in it.
[/quote]

Ha it was Uber pimped :D

Bartolini pickups, EBS active preamp with the jack socket mounted on the body, Badass bridge, full size tuners, rolled fingerboard edges, Fender pickguard. triggers broom you might say :lol:
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130123_200936.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130123_200936.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415443709' post='2600349']

Ha it was Uber pimped :D

Bartolini pickups, EBS active preamp with the jack socket mounted on the body, Badass bridge, full size tuners, rolled fingerboard edges, Fender pickguard. triggers broom you might say :lol:

[/quote]

Ah right, in that case I see the problem. I'll shut up.
I still say go outboard rather than onboard though. For me this allows for the natural tone of the bass to be blended in, rather than having a full active tone, and you can use it with all basses.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1415456933' post='2600550']
Ah shame about the Rotosounds. They're my go to standard strings. I had the exact bass you've got and will get that exact one again. Sunburst/rosewood - perfect.
[/quote]
I haven't used them for years I remember why now, lol. Burst RW and torty is about as classic as is comes isnt it?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1415457200' post='2600555']

Ah right, in that case I see the problem. I'll shut up.
I still say go outboard rather than onboard though. For me this allows for the natural tone of the bass to be blended in, rather than having a full active tone, and you can use it with all basses.
[/quote]
I agree and I'd rather not mess with the bass really, I'm going to order a Behringer bdi 21 today, jusy using the valve preamp channel on my other amp has transformed it already.

I used one for a while (still have it) but moved on to a BBDI. These days I use a Darkglass VMTD and it does the warming thing so much better than the previous pedals.
Not cheap but IME close to a warm tube amp than the BDDI type of thing. Saying that I do like what the BDDI does to my tone, but in a different way.

At £17 from Thomann I cant lose can I, gigging I will use the bigger amp and use the valve channel for the Jazz and the FET for the Ray or double bass, at least at home with the 3.0 I can boost it up a bit, TBH my Fishman Plat Pro I use with the DB would probably do the job too. If I use it all the time I will look out for a better version like a BDDI or something next year :)

Hi stingrayPete1977,
Don't know if you found out already, or indeed if the info I have is correct for you, but my 2012 american deluxe jazz v has a supplied 3/16" T bar Allen key for the truss rod, and the bridge saddles take a 1/16" Allen key. The bridge looks like the same as mine, but the neck on mine is a block/ bound affair so might be different, I honestly don't know though.
Glad you're liking your new bass, I certainly like mine, even with its little foibles. Happy days

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete, its the intonation ones that are causing trouble, my set of a million allen keys has one for the truss and the 1/16th for the saddles but the intonation ones that people on the net are fighting about being a phillips screw are as you know not a screw but another allen head on the HMV bridge on these latest versions. Its meant to be 7/64ths but the one in my set does not quite fit, im hoping its just a cheap key and I have ordered a single 7/64 allen key off ebay hopefully that will fit?! The truss rod on the new US standards and your Deluxe do both share the same posiflex truss rods, non US models dont get them so they might have a different key size. What exactly was with your case candy? I might try and get a set off ebay just for future value. Still not decided what to do with the deluxe case im not going to use, ive left the wrappers on it for now :)

As promised,
here's a few snaps of the case candy (sorry about the quality,but I only have the camera on my phone).
Hope this does for you though!
Oh, I checked the allen key size for the intonation screws and it is indeed a 7/64" (I haven't touched the intonation since I first set the bass up when I bought it new).
Any way, hope this helps

Cheers Pete :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415522711' post='2601038']
I'd be getting more than one of those keys .... it is always the ones you must have that you lose :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
You know I was thinking if it fits when it comes that I need to order one for the truss, one for the saddles and one for the intonation screws and put them in a bundle with the original strap buttons and receipt etc as I dont want to ruin my bass tinkering set. I have a garage full of tools for car tinkering but the allen key set lives up here with the guitars, so far I have been very good and put them all back everytime :D

I am updating my list of serial numbers and photographing everything today too :)