Why become a member? ×

Status graphite neck question

wolfmaster19

i'm considering a graphite neck from status for a build however i'm missing some info

after looking at some photos i noticed ther's some kind of foamy material inside it, can somebody confirm it? the thing is i want to install some threaded inserts in it and want to research on the subject, do i just insert the threads as you would with wood?? or is there more to it?

cheers

Edited by wolfmaster19

You'll find full instructions on the Status website about fitting necks. According to the info I've just read there's only 7mm or roughly 1/4" thickness of hard graphite for conventional neck fixing screws to bear into, after that you're into the soft inner foam core filling. That thickness might be enough but you could check with them directly?

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/pricelist/Neck-fitting.pdf

Do not use threaded inserts. There's no give in the cf to allow it. Cf does not behave like wood in the slightest. You'll end up hashing it up and shattering all the polyester finish.

The cf is rock solid and the screws will be enough to hold it - although I was never convinced it was a good idea. The screws literally go through the 7mm of so and then into a void. I always thought at least a block of wood in there would have been nice.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1414043884' post='2585035']
Do not use threaded inserts. There's no give in the cf to allow it. Cf does not behave like wood in the slightest. You'll end up hashing it up and shattering all the polyester finish.

The cf is rock solid and the screws will be enough to hold it - although I was never convinced it was a good idea. The screws literally go through the 7mm of so and then into a void. I always thought at least a block of wood in there would have been nice.
[/quote]
I'm curious as to why a thread insert would cause a problem, but a wood screw wouldn't.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1414059972' post='2585252']
I'm curious as to why a thread insert would cause a problem, but a wood screw wouldn't.
[/quote]I imagine the outer thread of the inserts is designed for wood & not suitable for Graphite.

Although special inserts for graphite are available :) http://mosesgraphite.com/technical-info/threaded-insert-installation/

Edited by KiOgon

The Status necks are indeed 'hollow' inside, having fitted one over a year ago. I don't know why you wouldn't want to use the standard neck wood screws directly into the graphite neck, as the installation is very solid. I don't see a benefit in fitting inserts.

As the insert is larger than the screw, you could always go with wood screws first and if you do fancy fitting inserts, you could change to those later. It certainly looks possible to fit inserts looking at the Moses description. The important bit is to chamfer the holes once drilled, otherwise you'll split the laquer / carbon screwing the woodscrew / insert into the hole. I had to do the same with the small screw holes for the tuners. Each hole had to be chamfered to ensure the screw goes in clean and doesn't crack the finish (or the screw can get stuck or even break).

Apologies - the ones shown there may work.

Necks that are attached using threaded inserts are generally these - http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/rofiinsw650.jpg

I have seen a status neck that has had the above fitted... Or on fact, not fitted.

I did a fair bit of research on the matter when I bought a status neck as I hate the tendency of a bolt on neck not being super solid.

cheers fellas exactly what i needed to know

i'm going to try and fit them anyway as i have already bought stainless steel inserts which could be kinda hard to break especially cause i'm gonna take small steps at a time and practice my drilling skills, i can probably use some epoxy on the thread hole to keep the inserts further in place in case it's not tight enough

question is has anybody tried using a pitch taper tap for cutting a thread into the hard graphite ?

i'm assuming it is possible since Moses necks can be fitted with inserts

ps: where would the truss rod be standing in that void exactly?? the middle ok but is it attached to the fretboard or the back of the neck??

Edited by wolfmaster19

Not sure how far the truss rod extends into the heel (if at all), it's adjustable from the head end, and is likely to sit high up underneath the fretboard. You could always Email Status for confirmation.

Because the graphite is very hard, the hole needs to be drilled large enough to ensure only the thread cuts into it. If the hole is only a smidgen smaller than the shaft, the tap / screw will get stuck. I would suggest trialling different hole diameters using a piece of hardwood first. This will give you a good feel for using the correct diameter drill bit. I used a Dremel, and used progressively larger drill bits to build up to the correct size hole. The Dremel not being particularly powerful can get easily stuck.