Why become a member? ×

Making A Name For Yourself: Cover Band Promotion

allighatt0r

Guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice and insight into how you have gotten your covers bands off the ground. Myself and a drummer started a pub covers band off last year, and have been gigging since February this year. We have just over 200 likes on our Facebook page, but whether or not we fill a pub at a gig is hit and miss. We think we are pretty sh*t hot as a band, people that see us think we're superb, we have a good set and we're building on it too.

Drummer has been in charge of booking gigs, he's contacted 40+ pubs looking for gigs for next year, and has got us gigs in 4 or 5. Total of about 12 gigs in total next year booked so far. The rest of the pubs being as flaky as puff pastry. ("I've not got my diary with me", "I'll call you back next week", "call me back two weeks from now on a Tuesday", "he's not here"). He's really disheartened, and I'm not surprised.

So, what I'm after is your top tips, tricks and insights into how you got your band off the ground. What can we be doing to promote ourselves?

I've thought of sorting out band posters and getting them spread everywhere possible before gigs, be that at the pub, on the local supermarket notice board. Anywhere else I should consider? We do our best to maintain a presence on our facebook page, but I'm very aware that that is a closed audience, we won't get any additional audience than we have already captured. Has anyone had success paying facebook to boost their posts?

Edited by allighatt0r

I've had the same experience. Venues have their regulars and that's that. Luckily, I have friends in established functions bands so could pick up some of their cancellations. Also, try get some videos uploaded and take high exposure gigs. Some people don't like charity gigs, but we got half a dozen private functions off the back of one recently. We also had a good few offers from landlords and managers after uploading a video to FB. Some were from venues that we had previously cold called and been given the same poor excuses you mention above. They don't tend to book you because you asked nicely, most want assurances that you'll do a good job.

It's all about promotion. You've gotta be identified. You must stand out. Do something completely off the scale at your gigs that will get people talkin. Social media is key these days. You need to get people communicating about your band on social media. Do something like an ice bucket challenge for all the band but one of the guys is wearing baggy trousers and they fall down when he gets iced. That's a silly example off the top of my head but something like that will get your name in people's faces. Oh yeah.... Be nice.

Rather than phone calls, one of our bookers (for the 'tribute' band) actually turns up to the venue with a promo pack - live and studio stills, posters, flyers, some samples of recordings 'as-live' - they don't have to be full tracks, a selection fading in and out does the trick, Are there any established rock venues in your area? Get onto the bill for all-day events as that can lead to support slots leading onto bookings.

Agree with all of the above. Its a case of keep calling the pubs that say they will ring you back.
The other option is going through an agency. Youd be paying commission but you would not have the hassle of getting the gigs and providing its a decent agent should be regular work

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1414066334' post='2585375']
It's all about promotion. You've gotta be identified. You must stand out. Do something completely off the scale at your gigs that will get people talkin. Social media is key these days. You need to get people communicating about your band on social media. Do something like an ice bucket challenge for all the band but one of the guys is wearing baggy trousers and they fall down when he gets iced. That's a silly example off the top of my head but something like that will get your name in people's faces. Oh yeah.... Be nice.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. It's all about social media these days. Get some performances up on you tube and then you have something to show a venue.

Then again, we had a guy in a bar saying he'd seen us on YouTube and was looking forward to the gig. Great gig, they were delighted and we've heard nothing since, so it's not an exact science. We are lucky one local bar likes us and gives us regular gigs but it's nice to play different venues sometimes. Good luck anyway but remember places are not keen on new acts they have no clue about

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1414068248' post='2585438']
Rather than phone calls, one of our bookers (for the 'tribute' band) actually turns up to the venue with a promo pack - live and studio stills, posters, flyers, some samples of recordings 'as-live' - they don't have to be full tracks, a selection fading in and out does the trick, Are there any established rock venues in your area? Get onto the bill for all-day events as that can lead to support slots leading onto bookings.
[/quote]

This would be my way to break into this - actually go and see people, let them see your enthusiasm and also let them get the measure of you as people, as those they can get on with and are happy to have you play at their venue.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1414059402' post='2585237']
Drummer has been in charge of booking gigs, he's contacted 40+ pubs looking for gigs for next year, and has got us gigs in 4 or 5. Total of about 12 gigs in total next year booked so far.[/quote]

For not having an agency relationship that's really not that bad. Sounds like your drummer already knows a few tricks.

I don't do much booking for out band. However I have always wondered why bands don't strike the iron when it's hot. Meaning for those in the cover business you should always have your eye on the crowd, the bar and the till. If someone is going to back and say [i]" I only want to concentrate on my playing"[/i]. That's fine, but don't ask, [i]"How come we don't get more bookings here."[/i]

If your having a great night, good crowd and you can tell there is an above average amount of exchange for premium alcohol drinks that seems like the time to talk to the owner or manager and get him to commit to at least 3 future dates.

Blue

Edited by blue

We started about 3 years ago. First year it was playing pubs, charity gigs, the occasional birthday and basically anywhere we can get our name about! It took a while to get the gigs, we had to record a video an sync it up with some tracks. It didn't cost too much, mates rates e.t.c.

2nd year, we joined an agency, probably the biggest in the UK. Due to us playing just 50's, 60's and 70's we were a little niche therefore we soon got booked up for weddings, and ended up being booked for the entire year throughout the weekends. For this we used the same cheap video!

3rd year is where we are at now, currently on a ship in the North Sea, and heading to LA in Jan for the big cruise ships in America.

It all starts from playing the pubs, the sh*tty clubs and the charity gigs. So just get your head down, learn as many songs as you can and play as many gigs as you can. Biggest tip I can give you is you need to get on an agency. You will get experience in playing high end corporate events and weddings, and you get paid soooo much more, as well as the fun of learning new songs for first dances e.t.c

Keep at it dude.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1414069388' post='2585462']
Agree with all of the above. Its a case of keep calling the pubs that say they will ring you back.
[/quote]

I've always found ringing pubs a bit of a waste of time.

Get in their face !

All of the above is good advice. Also, get a sh*t hot photographer to take some shots of you guys at a gig with a really impressive stage. Share them, invite people to like the Facebook page, and really ham up any post you make from the page to sell yourself. The cheesier the better!

Getting gigs through Facebook tends to be the best way with a lot of places these days.. that, and being relentless with the phonecalls!

My old band was really good at that kind of thing, looking at their page might give you some ideas

http://www.facebook.com/Generations.metalcoversband

Edited by chrismuzz

If you are in the south of the country then signing up to Lemonrock is a good idea. You can put up a band profile with pics and MP3s, you can see which pubs are worth targeting, you can see what other bands are doing. If you're starting out you still have to put in the leg work ( I reckon a visit is better than a phonecall ) but after a while you'll build up a track record that you can show to venues. After three years we now have landlords phoning us for bookings, some of them said they look on Lemonrock to find the busy bands.