Why become a member? ×

A major project - renovating a Trace Elliot V4 15" combo

basexperience

I've got a MAJOR project on my hands.

I spent winter 2007 out in Andorra playing in the Aspen bar in Soldeu during the warmest ski season I think I've ever seen - luckily the band rocked (and still does, check out Breeze in the Oxford area) so the bar was completely rammed every night.

I was also lucky enough (although I didn't realise it at the time) to do the season through the band's Trace V4 combo - a very VERY rare beast, which even back then was showing the signs of an extremely hard gigging schedule. During the 3 months I had to fix the speaker cone with gaffa and superglue where it separated at the edge! B)

Well, it's a long way down the line from there, and the old trace finally stopped working for them (I haven't seen it in a long time) about 18 months ago: they've shelved it for the moment but I've volunteered to do the beast up.

As far as I can tell (I don't have it yet), it needs:[list]
[*]Total revalve
[*]Total recovering
[*]All controls replaced
[*]Replacement castors (this thing is HEAVY :unsure:).
[/list]

Has anyone else undertaken the rebuild of a Trace V series amp?

I've found good resources for parts - the manuals for the V4 are thankfully easy to find and helpfully include every circuit diagram and actual part numbers for the individual elements. I've got a lead on 4 Ruby KT88s for the power tubes (I'm not sure what the original preamp tubes are, we'll see!) for £150 from GAK (I think, their pricing on that is very odd on the site and confusing). I've also found a site in the US which will supply all the right pots for the controls.

The trace Elliot tolex is harder to find, though - it's not lumpy marshall black tolex, it's more like a sort of smooth-ish pattern.

I'm looking forward to giving the beast a new lease of life - it sounds amazing, I had it paired with a 2 x 10 trace cab I owned at the time.

Some pix would be good..

With regards to the covering, I'd speak to the good people at Ashdown as theirs is virtually identical to the last generation Trace stuff. To be fair, they probably used the same supplier.

I spoke to Dr Decibel at Celestion about a replacement speaker / spare for my Twin Valve combo. If I'm not mistaken,the driver in yours has very similar specs to mine, yours being a C15H 200? Mine has a different number but the driver is pretty much the same according to him. Sadly neither is in production anymore but out of the current line, he suggested that the TF1525 was close in terms of T/S and was also tonally similar and as such would perform well..

IF this is the black tolex covered version rather than the green carpet, you have VERY lucky find. Only something like 25 of the head only versions exist. I had an opportunity to buy a V4 combo in pretty battered shape but functional (barely) shape back in 2008 but didn't have the time or inclination to restore it for what the guy was asking.

Best of luck with the renovation though and you're right about the weight.

You guys literally rock. Yeah, it'll need a new speaker, and no mistake! I'll do a build diary, shall I? I think I'll get it in a couple of weeks when I gig with the guys again, then I can scope out the costs to them in full and they can decide if they go ahead or not.

If they think it's too much to do it up, I'll offer them a reasonable wedge to buy it off them and do it up myself: the chance to own a V combo...

I've not seen a vinyl V4 of any type come in months. As the others have said the vinyl ones are incredibly rare and an opportunity not to be passed up on, I too will be interested in following the build diary. I have the head version and it is truly a Joy to behold, but VERY heavy so only gets outings for gigs and sits on top of the cabs 95% of the time.

Excellent! I used to have a V4 and it was the best sounding amp I've ever had, I think. Certainly up there with the Mesa 400+ /1516BE cab.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pedullaman/media/P130208_174701.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/P130208_174701.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I had new valves in mine - it came with some Ruby KT88s so I phoned Watford Valves and I'm 99% sure I got a matched set of these:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1081

Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Cheers
ped

As it is a high mileage valve amp, it is quite possible that components other than the valves will need to be replaced even if they haven't failed, might be an idea to get it checked over by a good amp tech and get a full assessment of what needs doing before you start ordering parts or negotiating prices. I would suggest that you investigate the cost of replacing the capacitors and transformer rewinding - I've no idea what the output tranformer specs are, but you probably won't be able to buy an off the shelf replacement, so having an idea of who you'll need to take it to and a rough idea of the cost of a rewind might be a good idea should this be necessary.

It's always good to see quality engineered items being restored to their former glory, but it is often the case that the work needed is more extensive and expensive than an optimistic first look might indicate especially when something has been run into the ground. Good luck.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1414150455' post='2586413']...and transformer rewinding...[/quote]

Why would the trannies need rewinding (unless they're 'shot', of course...)..? That's certainly not part of valve 'routine maintenance' as far as I know (but I'm always pleased to learn something...).

If the transformers are in good condition then there isn't any need to rewind them, but the OPs description lead me to believe that this particular amp has had a very hard life which might mean it needs more work than just changing a couple of valves to restore it to it's former glory, especially if it is going to continue to be worked hard.

• 10 months later...

First - massive thanks to all you guys for leaving those helpful comments. I finally got my hands on the amp! I know - it's taken a long time - but the build is going to happen. I'm posting "before" pictures at the moment: the whole thing is up on Facebook as a page -

[url="https://www.facebook.com/TraceV4Reborn"]https://www.facebook.com/TraceV4Reborn[/url]

I'm documenting everything I can, I'm getting more info on the amp's history and contacting Trace for any details. I've got the service manual and found part numbers, so I should be able to source bits that are in need of replacement with any luck. The head has survived really well: the tubes are probably shot (one KT88 is busted but 3 Ruby's remain...)

It's the opening, but things should move on from here. Hoping to do an authentic rebuild. Have to cost it out first - the band want to know what it might cost before anything happens! :)

I have the head version of this combo as well in very good condition, can not fault the head as mine has run flawlessly for just over two years and is hugely versatile, I've gigged it in bands playing anything from Soul to Metal and it takes it all in it's stride.

These are very, very rare and hardly ever come up for sale so i'm looking forward to it being restored and turned into the gem it deserves to be treated like. Picture was taken at a Recording session not too long ago by someone with a better camera than I have access to.

Oh dear god, the band appear to have spilled sugary DRINKS into it at some point!!! It did spend a lot of time onstage in Andorra at the Aspen Bar in Soldeu (where I used it) and we did have this thing about Sambuca... THIS AMP HAS GIVEN IT SOME!

;-)

(valve socket is untouched, thankfully - it was all surface and is now cleaned!)