Why become a member? ×

Sansamp name

Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414067996' post='2585426']
Maybe that's why Tech21 have never made it into a full bass head - the sheer paradoxity would make it explode*

*or implode, I don't know, I'm not a real scientist
[/quote]

So if bass player plays though a Sansamp amp in the forest...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414077655' post='2585606']
OK, so it means 'Without Amp'. Brushing aside the fact that a preamp is, at the very least symantically speaking, an amp, what's the rationale behind the name?
Is it aimed towards the studio market, saying that it's just as good as a mic'ed up amp?
[/quote]

My understanding (from memory!) is that when it was first marketed it was the first DI to have built in amp modelling. So you could ditch your amp and go straight into the desk either live or recording. A routine idea now, but quite new at the time.

Edited by simon1964

OK, so it means 'Without Amp'. Brushing aside the fact that a preamp is, at the very least symantically speaking, an amp, what's the rationale behind the name?
Is it aimed towards the studio market, saying that it's just as good as a mic'ed up amp?
[/quote]

The original Sansamp was intended for recording guitars direct in the studio, so that's exactly what they were going for with the name.

OK, so it means 'Without Amp'. Brushing aside the fact that a preamp is, at the very least semantically speaking, an amp, what's the rationale behind the name?
[/quote]

I think it's supposed to be a alternative to a mic-ed up amp, whether you consider it 'as good as' is a matter of opinion.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1414077955' post='2585611']
My understanding (from memory!) is that when it was first marketed it was the first DI to have built in amp modelling. So you could ditch your amp and go straight into the desk either live or recording. A routine idea now, but quite new at the time.
[/quote]

exactly my recollection too. At the time a few tried speaker or amp simulation for recording directly, without an amp, and sounded terrible. Anyone remember the Marshall DRP-1? Sansamp arrived with the first decent sounding units (for guitar).

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414067651' post='2585415']Does anyone actually pronounce it the French way, like you would 'Médecins Sans Frontières'?[/quote]

No need to... 'sans' is Middle English word (although borrowed from Old French) dating back to the 14th century.

In English, it's pronounced to rhyme with Hans or bans (c.f. 'sans serif font').

Shakespeare: 'All the World's a Stage' monologue from [i]As You Like it[/i]

[quote]Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.[color=#252525][font=sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#252525][font=sans-serif] :)[/font][/color]

Edited by cybertect