Why become a member? ×

Crowdfunding a record

EliasMooseblaster

(It's music and band-related, so I figured GD was the right board - mods please move if you beg to differ!)

Has anybody else on here crowdfunded a record before? A single, an EP, even an album?

My band have decided that, since we're skint, it's worth a try. Unfortunately, none of us have done this before, so it will be very much the blind leading the blind! And the only universally accepted piece of advice we've had so far is: it's going to be hard work. (Oh, and apparently the pope's catholic, who knew?) So if anybody's got any more specific advice on this kind of crazy venture, I'm all ears!

You need a sizeable following who are going to pledge you some of their money and you need some special stuff other than the recording to incentivise them.

I can't help but think that the people who make these crowd funded releases work had all built up a decent sized audience previously under the old model of record companies etc.

As others have said, it's a business model that relies on you having a large and eager following to make it work. And it can work... there are plenty of success stories to be found, but you need an established fanbase to begin with.

As a rule of thumb, perhaps assume that 5% of your Facebook followers will be willing to pay around £3-£5 for something. Maybe.

PS: great article from Ian Savage (link above). Read it! :)

Edited by Skol303

We can only release a cd if this works for us (Kickstarter).
We have around 950 likes on Facebook and in 11 days have received 23 pledges/backers. Of those 23, around 10 are bands/relatives.
We are looking to raise £1250 to re-record old stuff and put it on a cd with newly written stuff.
Even though the new stuff is getting nightly airplay from internet radio stations, both sides of the pond, it just ain't happening. We are up to £367.
By my reckoning at least £200 of that is band related.
We are all oldish geezers, not really up on modern marketing.
The band concerned (Troyen) were asked to reform for one festival (3 original members plus me).
There are more gigs with decent size audiences, but to be honest they pay bugger all, no more than doing a regional pub on a Fri/Sat night. And not as local!
Can't help but feel the lads are getting a bit carried away on "glory days" and that the whole thing is becoming too much pay to play. NOT my bag.
Kickstarter seemed a great idea but I think a "likes" base of 950 is about 3000 short :(

Good luck with your endeavours.