Why become a member? ×

To broadneck or not...

Dazed

I've recently been looking at warwick 6 strings again.
It's probably gas but I think I'm on a slippery slope!

I haven't tried a 6 string for years, one was a Larrivee which I couldn't get on with but didnt persevere with and a friends ken smith, then went back to 4s only for a long while.
Last year I got a couple of 5 strings which I didn't feel was much of a struggle to feel comfortable playing, however I find a string spacing of 16-17 mm just too narrow.
From what I've read, standard warwick 6 spacings are 16-17mm and broadneck versions are 20?

Warwick fans seem keen on broadneck models.

Is there any advantage ?

I know a broadneck must be quite a heavy lump given the size and Warwicks aren't generally the lightest of instruments!

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1414081059' post='2585650']
Thanks Rob. I've seen your NBD thread and it isn't helping my gas issue!
[/quote]

That's an inherent issue with BC unfortunately.... for example, I am happy with my cabs, they look and sound as I want them to and the handels haven't fallen off, but... I've been reading the TKS thread and now I keep thinking I'd like a pair of those!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414098583' post='2585957']
Definitely a try before you buy option I think.
[/quote]

Always sound advice that...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1414077081' post='2585593']
I've recently been looking at warwick 6 strings again.
It's probably gas but I think I'm on a slippery slope!

I haven't tried a 6 string for years, one was a Larrivee which I couldn't get on with but didnt persevere with and a friends ken smith, then went back to 4s only for a long while.
Last year I got a couple of 5 strings which I didn't feel was much of a struggle to feel comfortable playing, however I find a string spacing of 16-17 mm just too narrow.
From what I've read, standard warwick 6 spacings are 16-17mm and broadneck versions are 20?

Warwick fans seem keen on broadneck models.

Is there any advantage ?

I know a broadneck must be quite a heavy lump given the size and Warwicks aren't generally the lightest of instruments!
[/quote]
If you are used to play Fender type basses then all five strings with narrow spacing will feel "not at home" if you got my point. I got some five string Laklands as well as a Yamaha JPII with 19 mm (3/4") spacing at the bridge; they feel the same in the fingerboard and in the right hand, even if the neck is wider. There is space for occasional slap playing etc. NEVER again a bass with narrow spacing! "The neck feels comfortable." Kiss my *ss!! I don't play on the neck - I play on the strings on the fingerboard and "over the pups"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1414224351' post='2587180']
A Fender 5, which has standard 19mm spacing, is quite wide enough...
[/quote]
Which Fender five string has 19 mm spacing? None I've played anyhow...

Edited by bassmayhem

I've recently got a 5 string Streamer Stage 1 Broad Neck, it's erm, heavy!

The neck is definitely a try before you buy thing, it's mostly a case of getting used to it for me. It's amazing how only a few mm can make a huge difference! I treat it as a regular 4, with an additional B string. I've found it's massively cleaned up my technique though.