Why become a member? ×

About to pull the trigger on a DB, recommend me some strings please

SubsonicSimpleton

I'm going to be ordering a strunal 50/4 shortly, and would appreciate recomendations on decent finger friendly pizz strings so I can maximise my enjoyment and playtime while I develope technique and callouses.

I played a properly set up primavera strung with innovation honeys at the weekend, and the string tension seemed easy enough to deal with but I didn't really get to spend long enough with the instrument to see how tiring they are to play over a longer period. I've read through the reviews in the innovation trial section, but I don't really have enough experience with DB to gain much meaningful information from the reviews, as they are mostly comparative to experiences players have had with other strings on their basses.

I've already got a proper teacher lined up for some lessons to make sure I start off with good habits, I've found a good luthier to set my bass up when I get it so it will be really playable, the main ingredient I'm missing is strings - spiro mittels are widely touted as the default jazz pizz string, but I'm not really sure whether they would be a good choice for learning to play on.

So help me out please, what's going to give me a nice punchy pizz sound and not induce crippling tendonitis.

Don't start with Spiro mittels, they are great but tiring for a newbie I would say. There's a reason Ray Brown switched to Spiro Weichs from Mittels as he got older. If you want the classic growly Jazz sound with good sustain, I would say Spiro Weich. If you want a more old school thumpy gut type sound you could try Innovation Silver Slaps. There are other strings (I like Velvet Blues, lots like Evah Pirazzi Weichs) but Spiro Weich or Silver Slaps will do you well, just choose what type of sound you prefer.

I've never tried the Mittels
Initially, I didn't like steel strings, as I found the tension very high,
and they were hard on my fingers, and tiring to play for any length of time

So I switched to Innovation Silver Slaps, and found them much easier to get on with
Now I use Spirocore Weichs - and I find they are lower tension than other steel strings
I really like them - they came on a bass I bought from Greg, and I'm glad I persisted with them

It didn't take me too long to get used to them -unlike other strings which I just couldn't get on with

Alternatively, you could persist with whatever you have?
and try Daf Lewis's Innovation strings trial?
Always worth a thought - you put your name on a list,
then when the strings arrive, you try them out and post on to the next name on the list
.... a fab idea IMO

PS. I have also had a go with Innovation honeys
which are low-ish tension....
I really liked the silver slaps, I must say

PPS. You must also remember that if the bass is set up for a particular set of strings,
it may not be quite so "sweet" for a different set
e.g. Innovation strings are a heavier gauge than the Weichs....

Let us know how you get on

Good luck with it

Here is my '2 cents' (But over the years have cost me much more than '2 cents'!) worth on the subject of strings.
Spiro Weichs I like---Innovation 'Honeys' I like. For that old school sound I have Innovation 'Super Silvers' on my old German DB. 'Super Silvers' I have found seem to have more tension than 'Silver Slaps'.
Bear in mind that what is good for one bass does not suit another.
I have a box full--approx 80--of used DB & BG stings (mostly DB)-all in fairy good order that I have acquired over the years. Not in sets-all singles. If anybody interested make me an offer as a 'job lot.'

Edited by gypsyjazzer

The bass will go directly to the luthier for setup when it arrives - I've played a handful of cheaper DBs that have come up for sale secondhand along with a new stentor student and they were all pretty much unplayable, no real suprise that people buy them on a whim and then give up.

The spirocores looked like the best choice from my research, benefits including extreme longevity, reasonably bowable once worn in and magnetic pickup friendly should I need to amplify - the schaller 411 looks like a much simpler and cheaper option than piezos & preamp if I'm understanding what I've been reading correctly. There is no substitute for hands on experience with these matters though, and I was unable to get to the DB bash, so missed that opportunity to get a wider sample of the sound and feel of different strings.

I understand that finding an ideal match between strings & bass isn't straightforward, but after the research time I've put in, and going to look at DBs in reasonable travelling distance I'm pretty fed up and just want to make some music.

Honest answer?

It doesn't matter.

Whatever strings you put on there, you'll end up changing them within six months and every six months thereafter when you embark on the inevitable quest for 'the' string.

But if you wan't somewhere to start, Spiro weichs are as good a place as any, or Innovation Super Silvers/Velvet Blues if you want to get old school.

Good luck and bon voyage....

Another possibility is getting 4/4 Spiro mittels for your 3/4 bass (assuming it's 3/4). If you research this you will find that you potentially get that full bodied mittel sound and volume with less tension, but more tension than weichs.

Of course, every bass and player is different so your results might vary. :)

Good lucj and let us know how you get on.

I was aware of the trick of using 4/4 mittels on 3/4 scale to get lower tension while retaining the heavier gauge, I found quite a lot of discussion about it over on talkbass. My instinct is to start on the weichs and leave experimentation with heavier tensions and different string types till I have a good handle on the instrument, for now I just need something that works without exposing myself to unneccessary risk of injury.

Don't put 4/4 strings on a 3/4 bass and expect lower tension. Your best bet are Spiro Weichs as already mentioned. The other recommendation is to use the Spiro Solo string, which is nornally tuned F# B E A and tune them down a step. I'm using the latter on a 4/4 DB for lowish tension and the Spiro Weichs on a 3/4. Tension wise the Solo's tuned down are slightly softer.

The option to use a mag pickup was a biggie for me. That really left only the weichs as low tension options.

They might be a bit electric sounding for some tastes, but I like the singing quality they have. Others might prefer a thumpier, old school sound.

I don't know what metal, low tension strings there are other than weichs. Would be interested to know.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1414333717' post='2588314']
The option to use a mag pickup was a biggie for me. That really left only the weichs as low tension options.
They might be a bit electric sounding for some tastes, but I like the singing quality they have. Others might prefer a thumpier, old school sound.
I don't know what metal, low tension strings there are other than weichs. Would be interested to know.
[/quote]

You could try Presto Ultralites if its a mag friendly thump you are after.... not too great for arco though

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1414336595' post='2588358']
You could try Presto Ultralites if its a mag friendly thump you are after.... not too great for arco though
[/quote]

And given that I'm not too great for arco either, I'd probably better stick with the weichs :)

• 2 weeks later...