Why become a member? ×

what's the worst thing that's happened to you onstage?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1414523983' post='2590268']
That bloody song is a curse! I've got our keyboard player trained to shout "Hipshot!" in my ear as soon as the song is finished :)
[/quote]

It's awesome, apart from the fact that the different parts of the song are very different, so you have to switch quickly between playing ultra-fast at the low end of the neck to playing double stops way up at the 17th fret on the D and G strings.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1414523983' post='2590268']
That bloody song is a curse! I've got our keyboard player trained to shout "Hipshot!" in my ear as soon as the song is finished :)
[/quote]

Ha ha! True!
We used to start our first set with By The Way, and soooo many times I forgot to switch the lever back for the second song :lol:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1414524650' post='2590280']
It's awesome, apart from the fact that the different parts of the song are very different, so you have to switch quickly between playing ultra-fast at the low end of the neck to playing double stops way up at the 17th fret on the D and G strings.
[/quote]

:huh: I don't play any double stops on that song... I may have to re-listen to that song again! :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1414530085' post='2590395']
:huh: I don't play any double stops on that song... I may have to re-listen to that song again! :)
[/quote]

No, you're right. I was actually thinking of the way that I used to play it, and not the way that it actually is played on the album! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1414519869' post='2590203']
I thought it'd be wise to drink a big bottle of gin (with tonic) before I went on...
[/quote]

Alcohol has an amazing ability to impair your judgement.

We played for a 40th birthday party. Turned up early, set up and sat around chatting and having a couple of pints while waiting to go on.

The time came and we went on stage. I found it a struggle to plug my lead into my amp and slowly and horrifically realised I had drunk 4 pints of Stella on an empty stomach and was not going to be playing very well. Not to mention probably going to have to leave the stage after 30mins or wet myself.

I don't drink and play anymore...

Trying to be cool by jumping on top of a stage monitor at an outside gig, instead I sent the wedge monitor spinning away into the crowd and I falling flat on my back. Somehow still played on maybe 1 or 2 notes slightly louder as I hit the floor...

Also there was pub I get did where this middle aged lady biker flashed her m***e at the entire band, standing centre of the dance floor. That wasn't pretty.

Edited by Ruck

Whilst using my electric bass and turned to find my strap lock ion the bridge-end of my P-Bass had got stuck between strings on my double bass that was leaning beside me on a cramped stage. Chaos ensued as the double bass came with me pushing me into the drum kit but not falling over entirely.

I managed to twist so the bass was on my back and carry on whilst a friend in the crowd unhooked me. It was grim for what felt like ages but was actually only a minute or so.

I puked in a piano solo whilst crossing the bay of biscay... I've never had seasickness before or after, but I was doing cabaret and our show night was in a storm that produced a 40 foot swell, I ran off during the piano solo in a gershwin medley and vomited profusely, but ever the professional, with the band leader shouting 'Jake you've got 10 seconds' I ran back out on stage and completed the set....

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1414136733' post='2586191']
One of my first ever gigs - village hall youth club dance, I leant against a fire door & disappeared into the car park, nobody missed me until I came back in swearing & slammed the door :rolleyes:
[/quote]

That cracked me up thinking of that scenario :lol: :lol:

At a pub in Peckham during the 1985 Brixton riots,
some nutters ran into the pub and fire bombed it before emptying
the cash tills. (It was a Jazz gig, not sure there was anything cash to take...lol).

Another time in the 80's while backing a cabaret act in a chicken in a basket club,
the police came up onto the stage and arrested the Drummer mid song,
apparently he had been involved with the robbing of a petrol station.

What was it with the 80's?

One or two:
- drummer had seizure during set (poor guy)
- forgot where my funky bass solo was for 4 bars out of 8 (turned into 12) ;-)
- amp had internal disconnection, flashed multicolour lights everywhere and died
- different amp ran so hot during sound check it unsoldered the power stage from the transformer (I'm not kidding!!) - had to drive for 2 hours to get stand-in amp (not markbass either!)
- completely forgot how volume pedal on foot controller was set for half a song, frantically checking all volumes apart from the damn pedal

I'm pretty sure there's loads more...

Btw you guys are cracking me up, this is the best topic I've read for ages.

Bought a curly lead in the '90's after watching Brian May using one and thinking what a good idea to stop knots in the cable.

First gig with it.

I plugged it into my amp but did not wrap it around the amp handle , Ran to front of stage and the cable under tension shot out like a bullet to Hit the Lead singer on the back of the head which made him lurch forward and hit his mouth on the mic and bust his lips, Blood everywhere, down his shirt, on the floor.

Looked pretty cool for a punk band!

Pub gig back home in Lossiemouth about a year ago with the band I played with in high school.

Gig's going well, people are up dancing, everyone's having a good time. While most people would have at least a smile upon their face at this point, I seem to look miserable when I play on stage, even when it's a good gig.

A friend of the lead singer's mother, who was rather inebriated to say the least, decided that I needed cheering up.

Mid-song, she decides to get on stage and perform a miming routine of giving me fellatio, much to the amusement of the audience, which included my dad, who happened to be equipped with a video camera.

Edited by BassistInTheNorth

Played a 21st birthday party for our guitarists daughter. Bit of a drinking band, but never too bad until that Friday night. The drummer had had a few before arriving...a few we thought..... 4 songs in with some pretty terrible drumming and I turned round during mony mony to see him pulling his phone out his pocket, swaying and texting....still drumming....

Sixth song in and he fell asleep at the kit mid song. A couple of well placed kicks got him going again and he managed to wobble through the rest of the set somehow!

We were playing a workingmens club in Middlesbrough in 1969 , I played 12 string guitar exclusively in those days and we were doing a fast paced song with a capo on the 6th fret and the bass of my thumb locked solid and I had to stop playing for half a minute or so.

I tapped the front of my guitar and our bass player got the message (there was only me and him who played instruments, the rest were singists) so we just did acapella (sp?) until the feeling came back, the boozy crowd thought it was part of the act.

Dead embarrassing though.

We had another occasion way back when we started. We had managed to secure a gig in the best bar in town at the time. We had set up flash bombs to explode as we hit the first note. It was going to be a real rock intro that would make people really notice. Big intro tape played, keyboard player stood on the specially adapted "footswitch" and we were off. Trouble is, we had bought the wrong flash bombs. These were slow burn. No one would have noticed but we all started laughing at the irony of the situation. I could hardly stand up for laughing and totally missed the cue for the vocals to come in. As far as I remember we managed to keep playing, but the first song was filled with bouts of giggling at our failed big rock intro. We used to have loads of spinal tap moments !