Why become a member? ×

n00b DB questions!

Stroopy121

Hello!

So I've got my first DB on its way to me! I've played an EUB a little and really, really liked it, so decided I'm gonna start making some sexy noise with it.

Anyway, I need to get my hands on a bow. All I know is the difference between french and german bows, my only experience with playing anything with a bow was a violin lesson in my early teens where I made noises that sounded like I way playing a drum kit made entirely of cats, using smaller, sharper cats as sticks.

I had a look in the FS forum here and the first bow cost £500... that scared me a bit. Basically, my question is, if I pick up a cheap, bottom end bow from Thomann, there's one for about £30-£40 or so, but is it likely to be usable at all?? Is it worth taking some time and spending up to £100 on a better one? Are the cheap ones a waste of time completely, or are the fine to play with, learn on and break before you graduate up?

Also, are there different sizes of bow? I assume there are - so what size is "standard" for a 3/4 DB? Is a DB bow the same as a violin bow, or are they totally separate animals?

And finally, I'm vegan, so horse hair isn't an option, nor is catgut. So what are my options...?

Thanks in advance my lovelies!

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1414139140' post='2586223']...And finally, I'm vegan, so horse hair isn't an option, nor is catgut. So what are my options...?...[/quote]

Some reading here...

[url="http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=18228"]Vegan violinists...[/url]

...that you may (or may not...) find useful..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1414150649' post='2586417']
Some reading here...

[url="http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=18228"]Vegan violinists...[/url]

...that you may (or may not...) find useful..?
[/quote]

Thanks! Some very helpful stuff there, some... not so much:

"[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]If our ancestors did not eat meat, we would still be monkeys and would therefore never be able to make music. No offence!!!"[/font][/color]

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1414154242' post='2586491']..."[color=#000000]If our ancestors did not eat meat, we would still be monkeys and would therefore never be able to make music. No offence!!!"...[/color]
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] Where's the 'cause and effect' in that, then, eh..?[/size]

[size=3]"[/size][color=#000000][size=3]If our ancestors did not bash each other over the head with clubs, we would still be monkeys..."[/size][/color]
[size=3]"[/size][color=#000000][size=3]If our ancestors did not take up agriculture, we would still be monkeys..."[/size][/color]
[size=3]"[/size][color=#000000][size=3]If our ancestors did not stand upright, we would still be monkeys..."[/size][/color]
[size=3]"[/size][color=#000000][size=3]If our ancestors did not stop monkeying around, we would still be monkeys..."[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]N'importe quoi. :lol:[/size][/color]

Playing double bass while vegan can be a tricky one, as quality instruments are usually built using hide glue. Many varnishes use shellac too, which is derived from insects. Cheaper instruments are less likely to use either of these, but getting clear information on what they do use could be difficult. Also be aware that even cheap bows often use leather grips and mother-of-pearl inlays on the frog. It's a bit of a minefield!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

You can get bows with synthetic hair, but they are generally cheap and sound nasty. Most begiiners bows are fitted with synthetic hair. The Yita is a good bow and the french style type bow is most commonly used and taught over here. There is plenty of information on synthetic hair on the web and you can have it fitted.

Thanks for the info - it's much appreciated! I'll have a read into it - now that I know what's used then I might be able to find what I need. My problem is that I don't want to contribute to the demand for animal products, so I'll need to find out a bit more about it all, but it's good to have an idea of what I'm up against. Buying second hand wouldn't be a breach of my ethics as I wouldn't be putting money to anyone responsible for the harvesting of animal products, so I'll probably go down that route to start with.

I'll have a hunt for more info on synthetic vs hair bows too - the little I've seen appears to be strongly of the belief that synthetic sounds awful, which is unfortunate. What about strings? Are gut strings considered to be massively better than the alternatives? What ARE the alternatives? Flatwound nickel? Synthetic stuff?

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1414217386' post='2587134']
What about strings? Are gut strings considered to be massively better than the alternatives? What ARE the alternatives? Flatwound nickel? Synthetic stuff?

xx
[/quote]

Strings should be no problem; gut strings are a bit of a niche interest and the majority of players are happy with steel or synthetic core strings.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1414230003' post='2587249']
Strings should be no problem; gut strings are a bit of a niche interest and the majority of players are happy with steel or synthetic core strings.
[/quote]

Spectacular! One less problem to concern myself with! :D

xx

If you're looking to play most styles, inluding arco, a steel string, such as the Thomastik Spirocore Weich is your best option. Not cheap, but they will last for years and are very stable tuning-wise. Hybrid strings (synthetic core, steel wrap) can be cheaper but often won't bow as well, and will take longer to settle in.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a "neck pickup", a little flat guy, apparently it attaches behind the neck, when I got it, it was stuck to the inside of the body using blu-tack. How do I now re-attach this thing?! I can't get my fingers in the hole (fnar fnar) to stick the pickup anywhere, and even if I could - where constitutes "behind the neck"? Anyone able to point me at some kind of idiot-proof guide to DB pickups? I've had a look and only really seen stuff about ones that get mounted under the bridge post!

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1414217386' post='2587134']
Thanks for the info - it's much appreciated! I'll have a read into it - now that I know what's used then I might be able to find what I need. My problem is that I don't want to contribute to the demand for animal products, so I'll need to find out a bit more about it all, but it's good to have an idea of what I'm up against. Buying second hand wouldn't be a breach of my ethics as I wouldn't be putting money to anyone responsible for the harvesting of animal products, so I'll probably go down that route to start with.

[/quote]

I think that mostly horse hair for Chinese bows doesn't involve killing animals but is harvested from living ones. There is also the question of glue etc though.

Lots of discussion of pros and cons here.

[url="http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=18228"]http://www.violinist...se.cfm?ID=18228[/url]

Edited by fatback