Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Precision Classic 50

mcnach

So, as a long time "dismisser" of P basses (which still didn't deter me from owning a few, trying to figure out what it was all about), I have been over the past year and a half or so "appreciating" their sound a bit more.

And finally, I bought a "proper" Precision. This is the Classic 50, in "fiesta red" although it looks like a slightly toasted fiesta red to me, I don't know...

And it is without question the nicest Precision I have ever played.

A friend of mine loves his '74 Precision and yeah, it was nice, but... it didn't really make me ditch my Sue Ryder ;)
Over time I have tried various Precisions in shops, but I was never really taken by any.

So why suddenly do I buy this one?

Not sure! Because it was there, I suppose! :lol:

No, lately I have been listening a lot more to the P-bass sound, but I am really a Stingray/Jazz player. However, the Precision held an air of mystery to me... and I loved the look of this one... I became intrigued, and before I even had the chance to try one (been travelling, and not playing, which is bad as it makes me look for shiny things to buy online :P) I found myself ordering one.

It's a fantastic bass!!!

I can't fault it, and I try. ;)

Well, little things. The back of the neck has a small blemish... In a shop, I'd probably just ask for another to try etc, but it just feels soooo good, there's no way I would return this bass for a mere cosmetic mark. Here it is:

The wood is dark at that spot, it does not affect the way the neck feels or anything. And the bass is just a dream to play. It was almost in tune when I took it out of the case, and all I did was tune it, and spread the strings a tiny bit wider, as I like wide spacing (those threaded saddles are great!)... and that's it. The tuners are a bit weird, as they turn the opposite way normal tuners do, something to do with being "period realistic", but no biggie.
The colour is a bit darker than I expected, but it's still red... and I like red. :)
The pickguard is... weird, it feels weird, and when my nail scratches it... agh, I hate that feeling, like nails on a blackboard... It's going to go. Mint white would be nicer.
The neck is... FANTASTIC. I read a lot about them... how big they are and this and that... but it didn't seem it would be clubby, and it isn't. It's wide, which I like, and a relatively shallowish profile, which makes playing it really comfy for me. The setup was perfect... small frets, lowish action, no significant fret buzz unless I go mad...
and the sound?
The sound is excellent. Whatever pickups these basses use, they're good. I don't feel I want to change anything in this bass, other than the odd-feeling pickguard.
I play mostly finger style, and I love the prominent mids, and how responsive it seems to be to how hard I play. Nice tone control too for a passive bass. I seem to like the tone rolled off a bit... which gives me scope to get a bit more aggressive by opening it up fully, or darken it but turning down. And the slap tone is just DELICIOUS.
It's just so easy to play!

I don't know why I didn't like Precision basses in the past. It's taken me quite a few years to start appreciating them, and this one is finally *it* for me. Finally a Precision I see myself using a lot. Well, I doubt it'll make me change my mind about Stingrays and jazz, as I tend to prefer the bridge pickup... but there is a place for Precisions in my playing, and this bass will occupy that place admirably, I am sure.

That neck! What a neck... :gas:

Rehearsal on Sunday, let's see what it sounds like then :)

Edited by mcnach

The best sounding and most resonant P I ever played was also a Classic 50s in sunburst. I'd heard so many good things about the Roadworn, and was lucky enough to find one of each for sale locally at good prices so got them in to try. The Roadworn was much lighter but just felt lifeless compared to the Classic 50s, just seemed to sing when played unplugged.

The only reason I sold it was because it was too wide at the nut and the edges of the fretboard were rather sharp which dug in uncomfortably on fingers when fretting low notes on the E. That and the slightly sticky feeling of the glossy neck.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1414162694' post='2586619']
Lovely looking bass :)

Let me know if you do want to move that pickguard on... I'd like to try one on my sunburst P.
[/quote]

Cheers!

I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'll probably keep it, in case I want to restore it to the original look... However, I don't see myself letting this bass go, ever, and I don't see myself using it with the metal pickguard... so I may well decide to let it go after all... hmmm. :) I'll let you know if I do.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414163651' post='2586631']
Very nice... looks more like Dakota Red to me, though I'm probably wrong...
[/quote]

It's VERY hard to photograph. It's nothing at all like Dakota red. It's sold as fiesta red, but it's more orangey and less pinkish, and a bit darker. Under various types of lights it can look brighter red, dark orange, or a weird dark orangey-red kind of colour that's hard to describe :lol:

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1414165523' post='2586657']
The best sounding and most resonant P I ever played was also a Classic 50s in sunburst. I'd heard so many good things about the Roadworn, and was lucky enough to find one of each for sale locally at good prices so got them in to try. The Roadworn was much lighter but just felt lifeless compared to the Classic 50s, just seemed to sing when played unplugged.

The only reason I sold it was because it was too wide at the nut and the edges of the fretboard were rather sharp which dug in uncomfortably on fingers when fretting low notes on the E. That and the slightly sticky feeling of the glossy neck.
[/quote]

I never tried a Precision roadworn, but I have tried a couple of Jazz ones, and they were very light too. Light, but balanced. This one is not that light, but it's still on the light side of average at 4 Kg exactly (8.8 lbs for those of you who refuse to be civilised :lol:), and it's not as well balanced as the light roadworn Jazzes. If you take the hands off the bass, this one drops the neck a bit towards the floor. Not enough to call it "neck dive", fortunately, as THAT would make me return it... I can't stand neck-dive on instruments, I'm very intolerant when it comes to that. This one is just not perfectly balanced, but it's alright.

The roadworn series is pretty cool. Great instruments. Just not very fond of the "dings made to order". Not just that, but the fact that they tend to look a lot alike in the "damage"... Going to a gig and find the band we share the bill with has a bassist with another roadworn would probably feel like going to a ball and finding your ex is with someone wearing the very same dress you do. If I were a woman and wore dresses :lol:

The glossy neck is definitely a matter of preference. I quite like them. The wide neck is just perfect. I started playing bass after years exclusively playing guitar, so I found the Jazz was the bass for me... the Precisions I tried had scary massive necks! But over time I developed a preference for bigger necks. This one is a Goldilocks neck: it feels just right in my hand :P

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1414173133' post='2586761']
Small 'blemishes' in wood (grain markings and other figurings) are very useful as they're like fingerprints - a really handy way to identify an instrument. Enjoy and Happy New Bass Day! :)
[/quote]

Good point!

I just hope I never have to be in a position where I have to prove the was was mine.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1414179868' post='2586891']
We should start a fan club for these necks! Congrats on the new bass, I knew you would love it :-)
[/quote]

Indeed! I was almost scared to even try them, as some talk about them as if they were veritable beasts... but the only beast-like think about this bass is the sound it makes! :) I mean that in a good way :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1414179975' post='2586894']
...it feels just right in my hand :P
[/quote]

Nothing like proper wood in your hand. I had to have a go at mine with a Scotchbrite pad before it gave satisfaction...
... it was too sticky and I couldn't move my hand up and down quickly enough.

Edited by discreet

Well, I couldn't wait anymore, and I just installed a mint green pickguard to replace the gold one... I love the look, but most importantly, I no longer make weird faces when my nail drags on the pickguard :lol: Now all the weird faces I may make are just pure and adulterated standard bassfaces ;)

That colour is so hard to photograph right!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414180238' post='2586902']
[b]Nothing like proper wood in your hand[/b]. I had to have a go at mine with a Scotchbrite pad before it gave satisfaction...
... it was too sticky and I couldn't move my hand up and down quickly enough.
[/quote]

:lol:

Well, it can be argued that it's better in her hand... but I think I'll leave it there.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1414180334' post='2586905']
Well, I couldn't wait anymore, and I just installed a mint green pickguard to replace the gold one... I love the look, but most importantly, I no longer make weird faces when my nail drags on the pickguard :lol: Now all the weird faces I may make are just pure and adulterated standard bassfaces ;)

That colour is so hard to photograph right!!!
[/quote]

There we go!

Rehearsal last night with the Precision... A bit different from what I'm used to, so I tweaked the EQ a couple of times, but that was it. Loving it!

Got two Halloween gigs coming up, Friday and Saturday... I think I'll take this baby out on Friday and see how it goes.

I stuck a little thumb rest closer to the bridge, where I tend to pluck most of the time, and it feels so at home now. It's amazing how much the tone changes when plucking at different places, eh?