Why become a member? ×

NAD - Markbass LMT800

chrismuzz

Ok so I only ordered this last night, but I really can't wait! I regretted selling my F1 within a couple of months, and when I saw that thomann had a B stock model for £518 I just couldn't say no! I'm super impressed that it was dispatched within 12 hours...

What does everyone else think of this amp? Seeing that the F1 is the best amp I've ever used, will I love this one as much??

:gas:

Edited by chrismuzz

I had the LMT 500 and it was a great amp Chris, so assuming the 800 sounds the same but with more volume on tap, I reckon you`ll be very happy. The tube function didn`t make a great deal of difference, it was more like a control to remove the clinical aspect of the sound than anything, and with a few more harmonics added in, but I really liked it.

I've read the 800 sounds pretty different to the 500 actually!

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/markbass-little-mark-tube-800.641467/

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/markbass-little-mark-tube-800.563202/

I'm interested in trying the Big Bang myself. If it sounds good enough I might just be able to put up with the way it looks!

Edited by dannybuoy

Happy LMT800 user here, gigged just and sounded superb through my new Markbass NY151 cab, Limelight P, tone half point, VLE on a little, rest flat...wonderful old school soul sounds with clarity...glad I've gone back to Markbass.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1414195359' post='2587099']
I've read the 800 sounds pretty different to the 500 actually!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/markbass-little-mark-tube-800.641467/"]http://www.talkbass....ube-800.641467/[/url]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/markbass-little-mark-tube-800.563202/"]http://www.talkbass....ube-800.563202/[/url]

I'm interested in trying the Big Bang myself. If it sounds good enough I might just be able to put up with the way it looks!
[/quote]

That`s both interesting and confusing, why bring out a higher powered version of an amp but make it sound different. May as well call it by a different name/model number.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414229926' post='2587248']

That`s both interesting and confusing, why bring out a higher powered version of an amp but make it sound different. May as well call it by a different name/model number.
[/quote]
As MarkBass gear is modular in it's construction, I assume the 500w version will have the analogue A/B power section as in the LMIII and the 800 will be a Class D.

Well it arrived first thing this morning! Is it just me, or is something arriving from Germany within two working days absolutely insane??? Only had a quick 5 minute play with no effects, but I'm already impressed! To my ears it sounds warmer than the F1, and I can certainly tell the difference between the tube and SS preamps as subtle as it is. I can't wait to get it gigged!! Here it is sitting pretty on top of my CL 104 :gas:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414534432' post='2590486']
Yes the "tube" bit certainly makes a difference, though how to describe what that is is very difficult.
[/quote]

From my 5 minute test, I thought it made the sound slightly warmer, and while the highs are still as present, it made them a little less harsh. Definitely won't be replacing any of my pedals but I'm really glad it's there! :)

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1414537177' post='2590542']
Great cab too!
[/quote]

Yep! I loved the 104HF but it was a bit TOO bassy! This one sounds identical with tighter lows. Plus its a lot nicer looking... I mean if I didn't care about a cool looking rig I'd just go DI and use in ears :lol:

Glad you guys see the difference between Tube & SS. In my research before getting mine i often read that there was no difference...i can hear the difference and i'm allegedly deaf. Great amps the LMT's, it's definitely in the good books with me at the moment :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1414611826' post='2591397']
Interestingly, I'm finding I have to set the Gain a LOT lower than any other markbass head I've used to stop the clip light coming on! Doesn't make it any less obscenely loud, just strange!
[/quote]

Out of interest, how high is the gain set?

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1414608088' post='2591327']
Glad you guys see the difference between Tube & SS. In my research before getting mine i often read that there was no difference...i can hear the difference and i'm allegedly deaf. Great amps the LMT's, it's definitely in the good books with me at the moment :)
[/quote]

It is indeed a subtle difference.

I found I liked mine best with the mix control set at 50-50 (where it gets louder too!), or a little more towards the "tube" side. But I also liked what it sounded like with the knob fully anticlockwise on "solid state", where it sounds a bit "muffled" perhaps... I don't know, hard to explain!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1414680954' post='2592192']

That is low! Between 12 and 1 for me too with a LM3.
[/quote]

Clip light for me comes on at 8 o clock on the dial! That's g&l humbuckers for you! Amp still sounds blinking great though.

Ok so I used it at band practice today, into an Ashdown ABM 810... My god this thing is amazing! Sheer power (only had the volume at 10 o'clock), clarity, and the one thing I wasn't expecting from a Class D head... Warmth! Sounds a lot more organic than the F1 head that I thought would be unbeatable in terms of tone. And this was with flat EQ and no filters! (Ok, I do use pedals but this thing sounded gorgeous before I switched any of them on!)

I've definitely found my new favourite amp and just itching to gig it!