Why become a member? ×

A Fender JV Squier question (however it's piggin spelt!! ) Help please experts

karlfer

I have been offered a couple of these as trades recently. I know they are deemed as legendary and a couple of years back were swapping hands at north of £1500.

I think I read somewhere that the ultra rare 1st lot with big Fender, little Squier on the headstock, ALL had made in Japan in little writing on the headstock.
IE, they didn't have made or crafted in Japan at the back, heel, of the neck.
Have I read wrong experts?

Thanking you in anticipation :)

Cheers,
Karl.

Hello mate, I sold my last two last year for £950. excellent basses.and IMO a huge cut above the later ones.

Here's a pic of the head...

EDIT: with Made in Japan in small writting for those with bad eyes!

[attachment=174613:P1060064.JPG]

Edited by Chiliwailer

No expert moi, but you are correct. Made in Japan on the transfer on the front of the head; no Made In Japan on the heel.

The Mk2 JVs (Squier big, Fender small) followed the same format.

As did the SQ series... as far as I know.

I only remember MIJ on the heel coming in around 1985 with the Fender-branded Japanese line... 62 Tele Custom, Mk1 Thinline Tele, etc. Maybe someone else will confirm that.

*made a cup of tea mid-post and Mr Chiliwailer beat me...

Edited by KK Jale

Ho hum, VERY interesting chaps and thank you for that.
I had a feeling there was a bit of, erm, not quite right-ness going on :unsure: .

I have also seen knocked up JV plates on FEEBay and I figured something was nudging the back of my mind.

My thanks to you all,
cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1414180277' post='2586903']
Ho hum, VERY interesting chaps and thank you for that.
I had a feeling there was a bit of, erm, not quite right-ness going on :unsure: .

I have also seen knocked up JV plates on FEEBay and I figured something was nudging the back of my mind.

My thanks to you all,
cheers,
Karl.
[/quote]

Always nice when the good guy wins

I've seen two go for that on FEEBay about 3 years ago.
Post #8 in the following thread is also quite interesting [url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbasschat.co.uk%2Ftopic%2F174713-pair-of-1st-series-fender-jv-basses-pj-uber-rare%2F&ei=RctKVOGPE7T57AaS8YGoDA&usg=AFQjCNFDfLUb-XehPuu5fQSJUCLaE55iCQ"]Pair of 1st series Fender JV Basses (P&J) Uber rare ...[/url]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1414188001' post='2587024']
I've seen two go for that on FEEBay about 3 years ago.
Post #8 in the following thread is also quite interesting [url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbasschat.co.uk%2Ftopic%2F174713-pair-of-1st-series-fender-jv-basses-pj-uber-rare%2F&ei=RctKVOGPE7T57AaS8YGoDA&usg=AFQjCNFDfLUb-XehPuu5fQSJUCLaE55iCQ"]Pair of 1st series Fender JV Basses (P&J) Uber rare ...[/url]
[/quote]

That is interesting, top dollar for basses with added covers and screw holes. Rare but altered, sounds familiar....

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1414223304' post='2587170']
That is interesting, top dollar for basses with added covers and screw holes. Rare but altered, sounds familiar....
[/quote]

:o ;) :lol: :lol:

EDIT. I notice Cotswoldguitars have a nice one up on FEEBay, with Fender stamped in the actual neck pocket

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1414177277' post='2586831']
I have been offered a couple of these as trades recently. I know they are deemed as legendary and a couple of years back were swapping hands at north of £1500.

I think I read somewhere that the ultra rare 1st lot with big Fender, little Squier on the headstock, ALL had made in Japan in little writing on the headstock.
IE, they didn't have made or crafted in Japan at the back, heel, of the neck.
Have I read wrong experts?

Thanking you in anticipation :)

Cheers,
Karl.
[/quote]

I think what you may be referring to is the difference between export and domestic JV's.

The export JV's can be Fender badged (with Squier Series at the end of the headstock). These are the first JV's to be exported and are usually JV0**** or thereabouts.

They very quickly changed to the large 'Squier Made in Japan' logo you are used to seeing.

The thought is while the Squier badged instruments are amazing, the early Fender badged ones are even better. I've never had the pleasure of trying the earlier model so cannot offer any opinion on this. I also heard they are Nitro finished but am not certain.

The Fender badged JV's with a later serial and 'Made in Japan' on the heel of the neck are very likely to be domestic market basses, which came in at various different price points (the old sticker indicating which can sometimes be found in the neck pocket.)

So not necessarily anything dodgy, just a JV that was intended for the Japan market.

21 frets is a great hive of information for all things JV.

Edited by cameltoe

Never owned, or played a JV, but like most vintage MIJ there would appear to be an awful lot of unsubstantiated mythology surrounding 'em, much of which seems highly contradictory.

Like, for example, the story that the very earliest JVs began their trip along the Fujigen production line as Grecos. When Kanda Shokai (owner of the Greco brand & half of Fender Japan) did the initial deal with Fender USA, they were hastily re-badged as JV/big Fender/small Squier, as part of the deal was the cessation of production of Greco copies.

This might or might not be true, but it would make the "most accurate copies evvar, meticulously made from Leo Fender's original hand-drawn blueprints" etc seller spiels a little bit implausible. JVs - and all subsequent non-US Fenders & licensed derivatives - only existed because Fender were crapping themselves at the money they were losing to superior, affordable foreign copies. They were less concerned with making museum-quality replica-grade reproductions than clawing back some revenue/market share, and they did the deal with Kanda because Greco was the brand they were losing the most sleep over.

Apropos of nothing, my old '84 SQ Precision was the most beautiful, playable & best-sounding P I've ever had my mitts on. But then, I don't particularly like Precisions.

Jon.