Why become a member? ×

Fender 9050L or 9050LM Flatwounds

Twincam

Not sure what flats to go for.
The fender 9050L's are 45. 60. 80. 100.

The 9050LM's are 50. 65. 85. 100. gauge.

Im looking at these as there cheap and they seem to have a decent tone apparently. I'm not sure other than tension how different they will be however. And the Mediums are apparently super high tension so counted those out.

Opinions please.

I've go the 50-100s on my Hayman and they're great. Very even across the strings. You can get them to sound quite bright too, though not as bright as Chromes. They don't have anywhere near the tension of Chromes, however. They thump too, obviously... good versatile strings, and not expensive.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414180129' post='2586899']
I've go the 50-100s on my Hayman and they're great. Very even across the strings. You can get them to sound quite bright too, though not as bright as Chromes. They don't have anywhere near the tension of Chromes, however. They thump too, obviously... good versatile strings, and not expensive.
[/quote]

That`s interesting Mark, I might try these out as well. Have you used Rotosound flats, if so how do the Fenders compare?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414190423' post='2587057']
That`s interesting Mark, I might try these out as well. Have you used Rotosound flats, if so how do the Fenders compare?
[/quote]

I used Roto rounds for many years but was put off by increasingly naff-quality... so I bypassed the flats. I have used La Bella flats which are very nice but just a little too 'floppy' for me. Chromes were alarmingly 'high tension'. Fender flats are smooth (they get smoother with use), have great feel and sound fantastic. The 'tension' is just right (for me!) as well. I think you'd like them Lozz - and if you don't I'll certainly take them off your hands! :D

Edited by discreet

I agree, great strings for the cash and I'm fond of the clarity and tone.

After messing with all the gauges I now have the ML on my CS 55 Precision and the L on my CS 64 Precision. I like the extra playfulness the L gives me on the 64 and the solid boom from the ML on my 55. The M sound huge and incredible, but are quite stiff so not for the groovers perhaps?

Edit... Doh, I just put thomastik back on the 64 when I went down a gauge on the 55 (to further separate the basses tones). But I wouldn't dare sell on the ML as I know I'll fancy a change again at some point!

Edited by Chiliwailer