Why become a member? ×

SG bass issue

rogerstodge

Playing away merrily at a gig last night and there was this awful racket of someone playing badly out of tune , yep it was me, the D string had gone really slack, i looked at it during our break and it was about an octave too low, 5 or 6 winds on the tuner, I've had another look this morning and after tuning it up properly it seems fine, I've tugged at the string and its definately not slipping its wound round the tuner perfectly, it was professionally set up in the shop that i purchased it from . Any thoughts people? Thanks
Paul

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1414248550' post='2587483']
I'll try that Ahpook thanks, although the string definately hasn't slipped at the tuner end, looking again its only wound round about 1 and a half times rather than 3 times like i normally do , surely if it had slipped the end of the string wouldn't still be poked in the hole?
[/quote]

I would think so, yes...it is weird.

Can we blame sunspots ?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1414252017' post='2587543']
Its a gibson, i reckon it heard about Jack Bruce and gave up
[/quote]
Switch to playing a Warwick like he did :-(
May be a fault in the string. Very much doubt its the machine head.

Edited by sblueplanet

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1414244069' post='2587434']
Playing away merrily at a gig last night and there was this awful racket of someone playing badly out of tune , yep it was me, the D string had gone really slack, i looked at it during our break and it was about an octave too low, [b]5 or 6 winds on the tuner[/b], I've had another look this morning and after tuning it up properly it seems fine, I've tugged at the string and its definately not slipping its wound round the tuner perfectly, it was professionally set up in the shop that i purchased it from . Any thoughts people? Thanks
Paul
[/quote]

I would say that you problem is the excessive number of winds on the tuner. With a bass that has an angled headstock like the Gibson there is no reason to have that number of winds as the angle of the headstock provides the correct string break angle over the nut and you don't have to go mad trying to get the string down to the bottom of the tuner post as you would on a non-angled headstock like those on a Fender bass.

2 to 2 1/2 turns around the machine head post should be plenty to hold the string in place. Excessive winds just give you extra tuning instability as the string relaxes from new as you have probably discovered.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414264458' post='2587761']
I would say that you problem is the excessive number of winds on the tuner. [/quote]

I think he is saying it took him 5 or 6 turns on the tuner to bring the string back into tune, not 5 or 6 winds around the string post.

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1414323226' post='2588163']

I think he is saying it took him 5 or 6 turns on the tuner to bring the string back into tune, not 5 or 6 winds around the string post.
[/quote]yea thats right, its only wound round 1 and half turns, i played it for 2 hrs last night, no issues, sounded great so 'tis a mystery

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414264458' post='2587761']2 to 2 1/2 turns around the machine head post should be plenty to hold the string in place. Excessive winds just give you extra tuning instability as the string relaxes from new as you have probably discovered.
[/quote]

^this.
One and a half turns may be too little & over 3 is too much. I use the pinch method of winding strings on & never had a problem with it. The first turn goes over the string stub end the next and any after that go underneath. It improves the break angle over the nut and as it goes to pitch the string stub is gripped harder by the winds wrapped either side of it.
On 1 and a half winds my guess would be the string just slipped loose a bit, ain't no thang!!

Like this, but not as many winds under for a bass.

Edited by Big_Stu