Why become a member? ×

Hagstrom basses. We like?

Karl Derrick

I've been very pleased with the modern reissue of the HB-8!

I've heard various criticisms of the original '60s ones, but I gather they've been addressed in the updated model. Sounds great, plays well - unfortunately it's the only 8-string I've ever come across, so I don't have any reference points to compare it to, but I like it. The only problem I'm having is finding new strings for the bugger!

They [url="http://www.rosetti.co.uk/Product/HagstromNorthenSeriesSuperSwedeBass?catId=1e747437-2db4-4a43-839a-25df0b4a62e7"]reissued[/url] their Super Swede copy of a jazz bass a few years back, the same one used by Rutger Gunnarsson in Abba. I'd be really keen to try one as it sounded great when used on some of their recordings.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1414257872' post='2587667']
They [url="http://www.rosetti.co.uk/Product/HagstromNorthenSeriesSuperSwedeBass?catId=1e747437-2db4-4a43-839a-25df0b4a62e7"]reissued[/url] their Super Swede copy of a jazz bass a few years back,
[/quote]

That has to be some Turnip at that price

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1414256352' post='2587629']
Anyone know what a Resinator fret board is?
[/quote]

A composite made from paper (or cellulose) and phenolic resin. Variations of this are 'ebanol' and 'Richlite', the latter being CF Martin's name for the stuff.

Played a Richlite boarded Martin DRS1 on one occasion; it felt and sounded fine. Also read a review where a luthier refretted a Richlite board and said it was easier to work than 'real' wood.

Edited by skankdelvar

Regarding Resinator material - I've got two ebonol fingerboard basses and can't see why some people are so against it; it's hard wearing but in any case strings don't come into contact with it on a fretted instrument. If it imparts any tone to a bass (assuming fingerboards have that effect) then I'd guess it's more like hard maple or ebony than say rosewood.