Why become a member? ×

Are you a music snob?

xgsjx

I'm not a snob in [i]most[/i] respects but am fully aware that I am in others.

I'm happy to give pretty much anything from any genre a chance, but if I don't like something I'll be fully prepared to explain to you just why its terrible and to judge you for liking it ;). Tends to be on a song-by-song and artist-by-artist basis rather than dismissing genres though.

Just for the record: I love hip-hop.

Edited by uncle psychosis

Regardless of genre, in all of them there is some music i like and some music that i dislike. That does not make the music good or bad it's just my preference.

When there is so much music about and life is too short, why waste it listening to music I am not getting any enjoyment from.

Edited by jazzyvee

I am admittedly a music snob. However i will give any genre of music a chance but it must have some form of talent in it. Which comes in many forms.
I was trying to give an example but my taste and relationship with music is complicated.

In general i hate music that has no story or any talent. I hear a song song on the radio and its just sparkly junk written purely to make money. Which is not a new phenomenon.

And i don't like fake music, people singing about stuff they have no business singing about, because they have have little or no experience in it. Or when certain singers put on a more common accent and sing about having a hard life. And while im thinking about it "talent shows" that now make everyone think they can sing, no you sound like a million other people and wannabes, try being unique. I seen a video on facebook and everyone was like wow that lass can sing, so i clicked on it and yes she could sing but she sang in that "talent show" way the same bloody voice as millions of others. Now i would much rather she came up with her own original material and sang it well that would impress me.

Most people would say Billy Bragg isn't a good singer but he can play and writes really good lyrics that talks to people and really says something. That's talent.

Anyhow rant over.

[color=#000000] [/color]

I'm probably alone here, but I hardly ever listen to music... I'll occasionally put my ipod on when I'm on the bus to block out the neanderthals behind me bellowing at each other about Arsenal, but that's about it really...

I much prefer playing and to be honest I've very little interest in listening to other peoples music. I enjoy watching the other bands on gig nights and go to watch bands locally quite a bit, but that's about my only exposure to music I'm not personally involved with.

Well, somethings aren't my thing, be that genre or types of playing, and I like what I like and I think I know a bit ...so I guess
that may come across as snobby...
I guess I just go with my version of good/excellence/bad/poor etc etc ..
It is not all bad tho... it pushes your on... if that is what you want to do.

I like what I like.

Having said that, I'll listen to anything once, but if I'm not keen don't expect me to give it another go any time soon. There's so much music out there already that I will like (things that I already know and music that I haven't yet heard), I see little value in trying to get into something that doesn't initially appeal.

Some people might suggest that I broaden my horizons. I would say that focusing my interests is just as valid and ultimately probably more satisfying for me.

I'm terrible. I only listen to the same few bands (although their entire discography) and find it very difficult to find new bands I like in the same way (plus the new bands need to sound like the bands I already like !).

I've tried all sorts to get around this but dismiss new music so easily if I find it predictable or simple. I think i've found 1 new band I like in the last 3 years (Haken).

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1414396470' post='2588784']
In general i hate music that has no story or any talent. I hear a song song on the radio and its just sparkly junk written purely to make money. Which is not a new phenomenon.
[/quote]

But surely even 'sparkly junk' requires a fair amount of talent?

I suspect that when people berate the likes of Simon Cowell for 'ruining music' it's mainly just because they don't like the results of what he does - which is fair enough.

But I reckon to get where he has got requires a hell of a lot of 'talent' in the broadest sense, otherwise there would be loads of people doing the same thing and reaping millions as a reward. Talent, to me, means a lot more than 'I could do that'. We know that loads of people have the ability to write and play music - youtube is full of them - but how many have the 'talent' to actually make a big success of their ability.

All those purveyors of 'sparkly junk' on the radio must have something to have got where they are. After all, there aren't many people on here getting their stuff played on the radio are there, so it can't actually be quite so easy as it might seem.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1414331907' post='2588295']
I disagree with the premise that disliking a piece of music or a genre makes you a musical snob. Surely that would require you to consider one genre to be superior to others?

I'd say that different genres are just that - different. Not better or worse or superior or inferior, just different. And different people will like or dislike them according to their own personal taste - and that can change from day to day anyway!

Being snobbish about music is about as pointless as being snobbish about colours.
[/quote]

This^^^

I probably have one of the oddest iTunes library's out of everyone i know. Don't think there is one Genre that isn't covered in some way, ill try and listen to something rather than judging it but there is some stuff i really just can't get into. Does that make me a snob for just disliking something?

It's not as if i'm saying the music i listen to is far superior to this or even that a certain band/genre is sh*t, i'm just saying its not for me.

Isn't part of liking music about not giving a toss what other people think anyway?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1414392425' post='2588769']
Yep. RnB. As soon as it starts I'll change over or leave the room.

[/quote]
Thanks for reminding me about R&B. Arrghhhhh!!!!!!!! And why couldn't they think of an alternative name for it instead of hijacking the name of a genre I love?

Ha ha, when I first saw 'R&B charts' progs advertised on TV I thought my luck was in ..... until I watched one for a few moments :-/

Edited by inthedoghouse

There is much in life (imo, of course..!) which is more an acquired taste, not immediate. Those that don't like cauliflower at first will often come round to its savours. Some books benefit from a second reading, or trying another from the same author. Similarly with music; much is lost if, on first audition, it's rejected for all time. The circumstances, one's state of mind, one's company (or not...) contribute greatly to the effect of music. Not to say, naturally, that one should listen overly to stuff we don't like at all, but much can grow on one, given a second or third chance at a later date.
Just sayin'.

Edited by Dad3353

I've always avoided anything 'jazz'. I'm going to see Gregory Porter tomorrow in York in an attempt to remedy this.
(Whilst not purely a jazz artist, I feel it may be a start......)
Not sure about doing this with other genres I'm not so keen on (metal/opera/rap/musicals) but never say never.

Interesting question. My particular hate is modern electro/tech pop stuff that seems to have populated the charts over the last few years. A sort of crossover of a pretty face, an okay voice and lots of electro-inspired beats and drops. Hate it. It all seems so shallow but then I really don't understand electronic music. I agree it takes a degree of talent (my brother is a dubstep producer and is very very into dub/DnB/house etc) but I find it all a bit meaningless; they're not songs to me, more tunes or lots of different samples and sounds put together (admittedly in a very clever way) to make a piece of music. I also find any sort of "lyrics" in electronic music to be totally meaningless and irrelevant and add nothing to the piece overall. So in that respect yes; maybe I am a music snob!
Although; I wouldn't put my music tastes as having more merit than anyone else's; people like what they like and laying into someone for the music they like is utterly pointless; no one who is into a particular sort of music is going to change their view just because I think it's a bit rubbish! For example I'm a massive country, rockabilly and rock n roll fan; all my friends hate it when I put my stuff on in the car or through the speakers but just because I take a bit of grief for it doesn't mean I would ever change my tastes. (You could argue that it's impossible to change one's tastes!)

Sorry if I got a bit carried away here and none of that makes any sense btw.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1414407151' post='2588906']
But surely even 'sparkly junk' requires a fair amount of talent?

I suspect that when people berate the likes of Simon Cowell for 'ruining music' it's mainly just because they don't like the results of what he does - which is fair enough.

But I reckon to get where he has got requires a hell of a lot of 'talent' in the broadest sense, otherwise there would be loads of people doing the same thing and reaping millions as a reward. Talent, to me, means a lot more than 'I could do that'. We know that loads of people have the ability to write and play music - youtube is full of them - but how many have the 'talent' to actually make a big success of their ability.

All those purveyors of 'sparkly junk' on the radio must have something to have got where they are. After all, there aren't many people on here getting their stuff played on the radio are there, so it can't actually be quite so easy as it might seem.
[/quote]

Well i did say talent comes in many forms. One of them could be maybe be having the right look or image or being in the right place at the right time.
And there are millions of others who if in the right place could do a whole lot better.

As for Mr Cowell he has some talent however i see him is more a cog in the machine. Its takes writers, produces, a whole host of various management and marketing to come with the rubbish they will and be able to flog it so well. But i think you could swap out many of there singers or various other "artists" with millions of others and get the same result.

The culture of modern celebrity has made it possible now for people who wouldn't of got anywhere in life to get to the top.

I think Simon Cowell is a clever business man. As for the music, many of the talent show winners go on to nothingness.
Elliot Yamin was a fine example. Excellent singer & sounded great covering other folks songs. Released an album of stuff written for him & it was dire. The music did sod all for his voice.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1414426983' post='2589171']
There is much in life (imo, of course..!) which is more an acquired taste, not immediate. Those that don't like cauliflower at first will often come round to its savours. Some books benefit from a second reading, or trying another from the same author. Similarly with music; much is lost if, on first audition, it's rejected for all time. The circumstances, one's state of mind, one's company (or not...) contribute greatly to the effect of music. Not to say, naturally, that one should listen overly to stuff we don't like at all, but much can grow on one, given a second or third chance at a later date.
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

I agree, but I do suspect that a lot of it is habituation rather than actual merit.

[quote name='marlborored' timestamp='1414434389' post='2589253']
I really don't understand electronic music... they're not songs to me, more tunes or lots of different samples and sounds put together (admittedly in a very clever way) to make a piece of music. [/quote]

A bit like classical music? :D