Why become a member? ×

Are you a music snob?

xgsjx

Being musicians, there's songs & genres we do & don't like to play. But when it comes to listening, how much of a snob are you?
Do you like just the one or two genres, do you like loads of genres, but a couple you dislike or will you listen to anything & give it a chance?
Do you turn your nose up at certain genres, like pop or RnB?

I try not to be a snob & will happily listen to any genre of music. I'll listen to Steve Earl, then some Chopin, some Ultraista, some Kurt Elling, then some Primus, Coldplay & then Gungor.
There's songs that I don't like, but I don't think I've found a genre that I don't like.

Used to be when I was a youngster but I grew up and learned to appreciate music in a wider context....I can even see merit in Girls Aloud lol. I do struggle with a lot of chart stuff that relies heavily on loops and tech though....if a song doesn't have some level of interest for me in the lyrics I tend to switch station quickly.

Edited by martthebass

I like (or dislike) every genre of music to different percentages. I dislike about 99.9% of thrash metal, 95% of Free Jazz 85% of Country and Western and so on. Come to think of it I hate Musicals, Opera loads of Rave and Garage stuff...............looks like I'm a snob.

Edited by Japhet

For me, it's not really about good or bad. I simply like it or I don't like it. I listen to stuff now I would never have dreamt of listening to when I was 17. I'm always on the lookout for new music that resonates with me. There's probably music from all corners in my accumulation of CDs, vinyl and downloads.

I am lucky to have been involved in many different musical forms - and there are snobs in all of them - it is the way people ring fence their world to protect their interests and their place in.
I did go through a teenage stage where i thought if you didn't read music you were not a real musician. How wrong I was - I now know being a musician is all about listening and knowing what the music needs and how you should fit in.

I reckon my taste is extremely eclectic. There are songs of particular genres that I do hate, but not to the extent that it puts me off the genre. Pop is definitely the least favourite of my tastes , purely for the manufactured element involved. I find there are just certain songs I hate, regardless of genre, like money for nothing, American pie, etc

I like country, soul, rock 'n' roll, Americana, pop, bluegrass, rock, early reggae, disco and punk but can probably think of examples of bands from all those genres that I don't personally like. I don't think that makes me a snob. And like the original post I try not to be snobby about music or gear as I hate being on the receiving end of it. My step daughter wanted some One Direction slippers and I think it's great she is getting into music. Equally I don't mind Bob the Builder and Mr. Tumble in the house either although I'll tell you for free avoid Mickey Mouse's Christmas Club if you are hungover!

Will give any music a fair crack of the whip- if it's sincere. a great analogy with music is food. Don't mind a mucky ds every now and again, don't mind Michelin star food either. Going to a pub and being charged Michelin prices for something ordinary hacks me off. Like listening to coldplay thinking they are of the same merit as radiohead for example, or U2 still thinking its 1987.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1414316680' post='2588057']
For me, it's not really about good or bad. I simply like it or I don't like it.
[/quote]

This would be my view also. While I do have my own favourite genres, I would not look down on others, nor would I consider them inferior to mine.

If this makes me a snob, I'm happy with the label, but I can't stand rap/hip-hop, most chart stuff, 'easy listening', dance/trance etc and as mentioned above, musicals. Shredders do nothing for me either although I appreciate their abilities.

On the other hand I enjoy Marilyn Manson to Mahavishnu, Ravi Shankar to old Delta blues and some country.

Edited by inthedoghouse

Without understanding exactly what a "snob" is in this thread:
I was the worst snob on planet Earth. Unsurpassed. Unequaled. :)

In '63 i tried to explain the grown-ups exactly how and why they should really not listen to "She Loves You", and should rather concentrate on Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.

Later I would annoy my parents with my new classical, electronic music (f.ex. André Boucourechliev - who has even heard about the poor guy?) playing on the living room stereo.
Not that it was all bad, mind! This annoyance rather soonishly landed me a nice stereo set of my own AS WELL AS a set of headphones! :D

However, by '68 I started to stealthily and guiltily listen to other music.
Then The Nice happened, as well as Love Sculpture and Ekseption, all of them covering classical themes mind, and there was no return.

I had this rule: the best music is the music you can hear most often without getting bored or annoyed with it.
Bach was good.
These days, there are no rules, and there is no musical style I know of that I don't have in my collection, and like a lot.
I even love Southern Mercan C&W fer cryin' out loud!

Some examples: J-pop, especially Kanjani8, the Spice Girls, the first Postman Pat album... I think I made my point. :D

Edited by BassTractor

Always loved a great pop act - Madness back in the day, Lady Antabellum, Taylor Swift more recently, and was very impressed by Ronan Keating recently (but then he was part of a bit of a special gig). Also love some classical stuff, particularly choral, a lot of Jazz (including some experimental) and a wide range of rock, blues, funk and a modicum of Rap. Hope that stops me from being a musical snob.

I'll play absolutely anything as long as I'm paid to.

Listening definitely.

I mostly listen to classical music, or experiment music, in fact I can't remember the last time that I listened to anything that had a regular rhythm section !

:)

Surely it can only be classed as snobbery if you say you don't like something in order to portray a certain image?

I have a very narrow taste in music. There are loads of genres of music I hate, I probably hate more music than I like actually, but that's just because I really don't enjoy listening to it, not because I think it's cool to sneer at it or whatever.