Why become a member? ×

Need a new tuner... recommendations?

Evil Undead

I'm still using the [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-TU300-Chromatic-Tuner-Pedal/7S8?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_content=JOOX63WD|dc_pcrid_54171974119_plid__kword__match__&gclid=CLScpq_1zMECFSYIwwod7UcA1g"]Behringer foot pedal [/url](Boss TU clone) I picked up cheaply a few years back. Expected it to have broken by now as of course everything Behringer makes immediately falls apart within seconds of purchase (if you believe a few on here) but it still goes on providing perfectly acceptable results gig after gig. At the current offer of £16:99 I'm even tempted to get another as a back up, not that mine shows any sign of packing in yet.

Edited by KevB

The Planetwaves mico headstock tuners is quite good - works better than the other headstock tuners I have tried.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-Waves-Micro-mini-Headstock-Clip-On-Tuner-for-Guitar-amp-Bass-Tiny-New-/221289235895?_trksid=p2054897.l4275"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-Waves-Micro-mini-Headstock-Clip-On-Tuner-for-Guitar-amp-Bass-Tiny-New-/221289235895?_trksid=p2054897.l4275[/url]

But I usually end up using the pedal tuner - and for me the best I have tried is also the Pitchblack PB-01. Straight into the back of the amp.

+ another for the TC Electronics Ploytune
I used a Korg Pitch Black for years and it is still great; but the TC Polytune is better IMO.
It is just as acurate as the Korg for tuning individual strings; but if you want to quickly check tuning of whole guitar, it does all six (or 4) at same time, so you can quickly zero in on which string/s are out.
Also the Micro Polytune is half size of Korg, so saves valuable real estate on board. It looks sexier too, especially the arctic white one.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1414416898' post='2589037']
+ another for the TC Electronics Ploytune
I used a Korg Pitch Black for years and it is still great; but the TC Polytune is better IMO.
It is just as acurate as the Korg for tuning individual strings; [b]but if you want to quickly check tuning of whole guitar, it does all six (or 4) at same time, so you can quickly zero in on which string/s are out.[/b]
Also the Micro Polytune is half size of Korg, so saves valuable real estate on board. It looks sexier too, especially the arctic white one.
[/quote]

Korg Pitchblack Poly sorts this out.
It gets my vote.....
£47 off Amazon when I picked one up

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1414367158' post='2588738']
I bought a Snark pedal tuner from eBay a few months ago for £22 brand new. Its great, prefer it to the pitchblack I used to have.

If its just for home use and you have a smart phone then check out things like HT6 which is basically a polytune in app form. Its really good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harman.hsp.ht6&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hardwire-ht-6-fasttune/id492692669?mt=8
[/quote]

Definitely +1 for the Snark pedal. Mine picks up the open low B on my 5 and 6 strings which my guitarist's pitch black does not. Really well constructed, clear bright display, true bypass, good battery life and fantastic value for money!

I use a pitchblack ( although it is blue) and it is very good. It mutes which is useful. Also use a clip-on free from BGM in stealth mode ( I turn it so the clip takes it behind the headstock), just my OCD about these things....ably illustrated by Milty above!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Awesome suggestions, thanks everyone.

I tried the new battery suggestion, went and picked up a nice Duracell from Tesco and gave it a whirl. Although the display is now incredibly bright, the issues are still present. It just can't seem to decide if I'm in tune or not! And thinks a B string on my electro acoustic guitar is an E.

Can definitely see a new tuner in my sights at Xmas, but to decide which one... ooof! :D

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1414367398' post='2588742']
This.
[/quote]

Thing about these head stock snarks;

I have several cool looking bass guitars I gig with. I'm not going to compromise the look of the head stock with a snark. And with my eye sight I wouldn't be able to see the smaller display from that angle or distance.

Blue

Edited by blue

Wasn't the bass in tune when you bought it?

Sorry, old band joke :)

I'd personally NOT buy a Korg clip on tuner. I've got one and it's absolute pants. The £5 non brand thing I bought for my son off Amazon is miles better. All seems a bit hit and miss tbh

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1414439147' post='2589323']
Wasn't the bass in tune when you bought it?

Sorry, old band joke :)

I'd personally NOT buy a Korg clip on tuner. I've got one and it's absolute pants. The £5 non brand thing I bought for my son off Amazon is miles better. All seems a bit hit and miss tbh
[/quote]

Clip-on tuners are very good now. Even ones at £8-£10. You'd think at that price, it would be nothing more than cheap crap, but they usually aren't.

When you buy something else, all you're paying for is the brand and their specific take on the idea. Hardly worth it in most cases. I would (and have) buy the D'Addario micro tuner just because it's so discrete (and it also has a visual metronome - how cool is that!?), and it works really well, but it tunes the bass like any decent tuner.