Why become a member? ×

Need a new tuner... recommendations?

Evil Undead

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1414439147' post='2589323']
Wasn't the bass in tune when you bought it?

Sorry, old band joke :)

I'd personally NOT buy a Korg clip on tuner. I've got one and it's absolute pants. The £5 non brand thing I bought for my son off Amazon is miles better. All seems a bit hit and miss tbh
[/quote]

A lot of you older guys remember when there were no tuners. If you didn't have a key board player in the band you tuned by ear or we had something called a Pitch Pipe, which probably is still not a bad tool.

Blue

TC Polytune 2. Superb bit of kit and extremely quick but accurate. I have tried Korg headstock tuners which are great when wanting a quick tune away from the amp, but was never confident they would work (sometimes the D string was not being picked up) and also a Boss, which is good but needs connecting and disconnecting. The Polytune is always there in the loop from Bass to Amp

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414438434' post='2589311']
Thing about these head stock snarks;

I have several cool looking bass guitars I gig with. I'm not going to compromise the look of the head stock with a snark. And with my eye sight I wouldn't be able to see the smaller display from that angle or distance.

Blue
[/quote]

I find using it in stealth mode makes it hardly noticeable ( as per photo above)

As I said in my earlier post, this is a very good deal at the moment;
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-TU300-Chromatic-Tuner-Pedal/7S8?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_content=JOOX63WD|dc_pcrid_54171974119_plid__kword__match__&gclid=CLScpq_1zMECFSYIwwod7UcA1g"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-TU300-Chromatic-Tuner-Pedal/7S8?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_content=JOOX63WD|dc_pcrid_54171974119_plid__kword__match__&gclid=CLScpq_1zMECFSYIwwod7UcA1g[/url]
Been using one for years with no mishaps.

Honestly, they're pretty much all fine.

Want indestructable? Buy a TU-3
Want accurate enough to set intonation? Buy a Turbo Tuner
Want cheap? Buy a snark pedal tuner or a pitchblack
Want really cheap? Buy a clip on.
Want to tune lots of strings at once? Buy a polytune

They'll all tune your bass great. Just choose what secondary feature interests you the most.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1414582416' post='2590880']
Honestly, they're pretty much all fine.

They'll all tune your bass great. Just choose what secondary feature interests you the most.
[/quote]

Agree. To be honest I have always wondered why people would pay £60 plus, for a tuner when a £15 one will do the same job.

Also the... "looks cool too"... advertisement blurb always make me laugh. As if anyone can see it among a ton of cables and other pedals, and would people be impressed one way or the other by it's looks ?

However...to each their own. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1414582416' post='2590880']
Want indestructable? Buy a TU-3
Want accurate enough to set intonation? Buy a Turbo Tuner
Want cheap? Buy a snark pedal tuner or a pitchblack
Want really cheap? Buy a clip on.
Want to tune lots of strings at once? Buy a polytune
[/quote]
Spot on there. Nuff said :)

Thanks to this thread I've decided to put my Korg GT-3 out to pasture & upgrade.

Judging from the videos I think I like the TC Polytune the best but does anyone know or have an opinion on the difference between the normal one & the "mini"? I quite like the look of the bigger one but as the mini is newer is it also better?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1414603585' post='2591240']
Thanks to this thread I've decided to put my Korg GT-3 out to pasture & upgrade.

Judging from the videos I think I like the TC Polytune the best but does anyone know or have an opinion on the difference between the normal one & the "mini"? I quite like the look of the bigger one but as the mini is newer is it also better?
[/quote]

I may be wrong but i think the mini may only work with a dc adapter (not batteries)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1414353198' post='2588591']
The Boss TU2 or 3 has been the industry standard for many years for good reason, I brought a Peterson tuner to replace my TU2 as the Peterson's are supposed to be the dogs doodahs, the first thing I did was tune up with the TU2 then see how far it was out compared to the Peterson.....guess what it was absolutely bang on in tune.......1 Peterson tuner sold and one Boss TU2 safely back on the pedal board
[/quote]
Let's reload this reply. Tells you all you need to know, really. ..