Why become a member? ×

Need a new tuner... recommendations?

Evil Undead

My current tuner has served me well for the last 5 years (Artec Big Dots) but it's on the blink and becoming more of a pain in the rear as time goes on (really slow to pick up the notes and sometimes chooses the wrong note completely - for example I'm tuning the D string and it comes up B, C, all sorts). And flits from flat to sharp to perfect tuning and back again with one pluck of the string, not even touching the tuner keys. Grrr.

So I think I'm going to request a new one from my better half for Xmas.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but does need to be good for bass (of course!).
I don't have a pedal board so doesn't have to be a pedal but I don't mind if it is (current one is).
I don't really fancy a strobe tuner, or a clip on headstock one unless it's really good (the ones I've had in the past have been crap), and I much prefer chromatic.
EDIT: oh I forgot, no rack tuners, I don't really know what a rack is let alone have one :D

What do you think chaps/ladies?

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1414349877' post='2588543']
You could get a multi effects unit with a built in chromatic tuner, like the Zoom B1on (cheap, about £38) or say a Zoom B3 (dearer at about £107).
[/quote]

It's a nice idea. Having some effects to mess about with might be fun, but I think I'd get very confused with the zooms. Does the boss ME50b have a decent tuner I wonder? Hmmm

On thinking about it, nah... I'm just not an effects girl.

Edited by Evil Undead

The Boss TU2 or 3 has been the industry standard for many years for good reason, I brought a Peterson tuner to replace my TU2 as the Peterson's are supposed to be the dogs doodahs, the first thing I did was tune up with the TU2 then see how far it was out compared to the Peterson.....guess what it was absolutely bang on in tune.......1 Peterson tuner sold and one Boss TU2 safely back on the pedal board

Mate of mine bought 5 clip on ones off ebay for about £1.50 and treats em like disposables. If you lose one or tread on it, no great loss and when the battery fails [size=4]just sling it.[/size]

Had my doubts at first, but [size=3] I tried one and [/size][size=4]TBH as long as theyre accurate it sort of makes sense as long as you dont care what it looks like.[/size]

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1414351765' post='2588575']

It had one fairly recently, six months ago ish. Normally lasts much longer, but do you think that could be it?
[/quote]

No harm in trying a new one.

Are you doing anything differently?

More gigs? Do you leave it plugged in even though it's switched to bypass? Could still use power. Different type of battery?

If the battery is running down quick could be a bad connection somewhere.

Intellitouch PT10.

[attachment=174807:iu.jpeg]

Michael Manring uses one, he has all sorts of weird and strange tunings. Works perfectly even on a low B, changes colour to green from red when you're in tune.

Less than £10 from Amazon.

:)

Edited by ambient

I love my TU 2 , very well built and works well but they do munch batteries so I've got a mains power supply (cheap maplins one) and a multi plug lead that also feeds my Fishman Plat Pro when playing Double Bass. The bright colour leds probably eat the battery but with the mains plug I keep it plugged into my tuner out and switched on all night. Handles low B and the upright bass no problems, the poly function is fun but pointless :)

Edit, im lying I have a Polytune 2 not a TU2!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1414351100' post='2588561']
korg pitchblack, superb piece of kit.
[/quote]

Agreed, Had mine since 2009. It's first in line in my pedal board chain. No problems. Buy it you won't be dissapoinedt unless you play in a lot of direct sun light.

Blue

Edited by blue

I bought a Snark pedal tuner from eBay a few months ago for £22 brand new. Its great, prefer it to the pitchblack I used to have.

If its just for home use and you have a smart phone then check out things like HT6 which is basically a polytune in app form. Its really good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harman.hsp.ht6&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hardwire-ht-6-fasttune/id492692669?mt=8