Why become a member? ×

NBD: Westfield P Copy for upgrade project..

uk_lefty

So I took the opportunity to buy a Westfield P copy (left handed of course). I had heard that overall they were good quality for the price and could be got cheap second hand. I had won a 3TSB one for a tenner on eBay and just couldn't arrange to be at the seller's house exactly on the hour they wanted it collecting so I lost out.

I picked up one in all black today. I took it home gave it a good clean, oiled the fretboard and put on some semi-used Fender flat wound strings as well as an Allparts Fender-a-like string post and a black plastic thumb rest. So far I'm quite pleased with the sound, and would be happy playing it at a rehearsal, but a bit more presence and fullness in the sound would make me more happy. Good strings on a budget bass do make a big difference - the sound is so much better than I had expected.

The plan is to upgrade it piece by piece - I have a black wilkinson bridge with brass saddles on order, and some black Fender straplocks on their way too. I have been offered a Seymour Duncan pickup by a fellow basschatter, and soon I'll look at the pots, jack and wiring. I fancy putting on some black tuners too... but one thing at a time.

The bass is nice and light, sounds and feels pretty good and would be excellent for a beginner - probably better than the Tanglewood P copy I started on. The nut is plastic and needs to go, and I really don't like the headstock shape. i may replace the neck, I fancy an all maple Fender P style neck if I can get one that fits....

So far mine has had the knobs changed for black ones, black Fender strap locks (i have Fender straplocks on my Jazz so this makes sense for changing instruments) and the Wilkinson bridge is on. Have to say I think the new bridge has made a big improvement to the sound - its a black chrome bridge with brass saddles that I bought for £11.95 posted on eBay from Guitars Electric - there's more depth and fullness to the sound. Struggling to adjust the string height though and think i need to do a neck adjustment too, but the bass is coming on well.

Seymour Duncan SPB3 Pickups should be on the way, I'm looking at all maple necks if I can get one the right size and the right price, black tuners will go on, and I'm thinking of buying a P Bass wiring loom off eBay built to Fender vintage spec (about £33 posted) - anyone know if they're worth it?

Comparing this to my Jazz bass its the dark and deep sound i want to contrast with the bright zingy and snappy jazz bass. Add my fretless and i possibly have the full set :)